Try GOLD - Free
CIDG files sedition raps vs Rody; NBI says no case
The Philippine Star
|February 18, 2025
'KILL 15 SENATORS'
PNP-CIDG chief Maj. Gen. Nicolas Torre III said Duterte's remarks should not be taken lightly. In filing the complaint with the Department of Justice, Torre said the PNP-CIDG is undertaking a case build-up against Duterte, as required under the DOJ's Department Circular 20 that institutionalizes the policy on "pro-active involvement of prosecutors" in such a procedure.
On the other hand, National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Director Jaime Santiago sees no need to investigate Duterte, saying the remarks given during an election campaign were just "political propaganda and rhetoric."
The NBI chief, who previously filed a complaint for grave threats and inciting to sedition against Duterte's daughter Vice President Sara Duterte, argued that the former president's statements should be understood in the context of political discourse.
Torre, however, noted, "It is already the Bagong Pilipinas and those kinds of statements should be prohibited, and the following morning he would just say that it was only a joke."
"This is the reason why our country was in a mess for six years. Up to now we are still a mess because of all the killings. If they will be taken for their word, then they will say that it was a joke only, or their latest excuse - that he is only expressing a legal opinion. That is already too much," Torre said.
While no sitting senator and senatorial candidate has filed a complaint against Duterte, Torre said that he, as a Filipino and as a police officer, opted to take the initiative to take legal action.
"For some, this may be viewed as a small issue. But it is being uttered by a former president and it is not far-fetched that it will be taken seriously by his blind supporters, because this has happened before. He said that drug users should be killed and so many were killed that we no longer know where the vigilante is coming from.
The fact remains
This story is from the February 18, 2025 edition of The Philippine Star.
Subscribe to Magzter GOLD to access thousands of curated premium stories, and 10,000+ magazines and newspapers.
Already a subscriber? Sign In
MORE STORIES FROM The Philippine Star
The Philippine Star
PROSPECTS FOR THE FUTURES OF THE PHILIPPINE ARTS
In 1950, Purita Kalaw-Ledesma, often called the “Mother of Philippine Modern Art,” remarked, in response to a painting by Fernando Amorsolo: “We have been through a war, but very few of our painters seem to know it.”
4 mins
February 16, 2026
The Philippine Star
Lunar New Year activities set in Banawe Chinatown
To celebrate the Lunar New Year tomorrow, a series of activities will be held at the Banawe Chinatown District in Quezon City.
1 min
February 16, 2026
The Philippine Star
Lessons from Sara’s numbers
There are important lessons from the numbers in the recent polls showing increased trust levels for Sara Duterte.
4 mins
February 16, 2026
The Philippine Star
Filipino troops unaffected by word war with China – Navy
Philippine troops remain unaffected by the Chinese embassy's word war and public attacks against Philippine officials and institutions, the Philippine Navy said yesterday.
2 mins
February 16, 2026
The Philippine Star
KESHAD UNLEASHES FURY
Keshad Johnson of the Miami Heat won the Slam Dunk contest at NBA All-Star Saturday, overcoming perfect scores by San Antonio rookie Carter Bryant on his first dunk in the final round.
1 mins
February 16, 2026
The Philippine Star
Trabaho@Negosyo and the path to inclusive growth
ASEAN is a region of deep entrepreneurial spirit. It is also a very young region, and one that has time and again proved to be quite resilient.
4 mins
February 16, 2026
The Philippine Star
DA: Imports not pulling down local red onion prices
Imported stocks are not enough to pull down the prices of domestic red onions, the Department of Agriculture (DA) said yesterday.
1 mins
February 16, 2026
The Philippine Star
SSS reserve fund tops P1 T in 2025
The Social Security System crossed a major financial milestone in 2025 as its reserve funds breached the P1-trillion mark for the first time, marking the strongest performance in the pension fund’s history and reinforcing assurances on the sustainability of SSS member benefits.
2 mins
February 16, 2026
The Philippine Star
P21 M: Rizal's ‘Fili’ is Phl's most expensive book
A first edition of \"El Filibusterismo\" signed by Jose Rizal has become the most expensive book in the Philippines, selling for P21 million at the recent Leon Gallery Asian Cultural Council Auction on Feb. 14.
1 mins
February 16, 2026
The Philippine Star
Padilla sorry for 'weak' youth remark
Sen. Robinhood Padilla on Friday apologized to people offended by his controversial remarks calling today's youth “weak” amid rising suicide cases.
1 min
February 16, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
