कोशिश गोल्ड - मुक्त

CIDG files sedition raps vs Rody; NBI says no case

The Philippine Star

|

February 18, 2025

'KILL 15 SENATORS'

- Evelyn Macairan and Mark Ernest Villeza

CIDG files sedition raps vs Rody; NBI says no case

PNP-CIDG chief Maj. Gen. Nicolas Torre III said Duterte's remarks should not be taken lightly. In filing the complaint with the Department of Justice, Torre said the PNP-CIDG is undertaking a case build-up against Duterte, as required under the DOJ's Department Circular 20 that institutionalizes the policy on "pro-active involvement of prosecutors" in such a procedure.

On the other hand, National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Director Jaime Santiago sees no need to investigate Duterte, saying the remarks given during an election campaign were just "political propaganda and rhetoric."

The NBI chief, who previously filed a complaint for grave threats and inciting to sedition against Duterte's daughter Vice President Sara Duterte, argued that the former president's statements should be understood in the context of political discourse.

Torre, however, noted, "It is already the Bagong Pilipinas and those kinds of statements should be prohibited, and the following morning he would just say that it was only a joke."

"This is the reason why our country was in a mess for six years. Up to now we are still a mess because of all the killings. If they will be taken for their word, then they will say that it was a joke only, or their latest excuse - that he is only expressing a legal opinion. That is already too much," Torre said.

While no sitting senator and senatorial candidate has filed a complaint against Duterte, Torre said that he, as a Filipino and as a police officer, opted to take the initiative to take legal action.

"For some, this may be viewed as a small issue. But it is being uttered by a former president and it is not far-fetched that it will be taken seriously by his blind supporters, because this has happened before. He said that drug users should be killed and so many were killed that we no longer know where the vigilante is coming from.

The fact remains

The Philippine Star से और कहानियाँ

The Philippine Star

Unmarried couples, partners not exempt from dynasty ban

The proposed ban on political dynasties will not spare unmarried couples or domestic partners, as long as they share a common household, Sen. Risa Hontiveros clarified yesterday.

time to read

1 mins

February 17, 2026

The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

Sandiganbayan enters not guilty plea for Revilla

The Sandiganbayan Third Division entered a not guilty plea yesterday for former senator Ramon Revilla Jr. after he refused to enter a plea in his malversation case involving an alleged P92.8-million ghost flood control project in Pandi, Bulacan.

time to read

3 mins

February 17, 2026

The Philippine Star

Peso crosses 57:$1 territory

The peso rebounded back to the 57 to $1 level yesterday as a softer-than-expected inflation print in the United States lifted regional currencies and reinforced expectations of US Federal Reserve rate cuts later this year.

time to read

1 mins

February 17, 2026

The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

Remittances reach record high $35.6 B

Remittances from overseas Filipinos surged to a new record in December, lifting full year inflows to an all-time high and underscoring the sector’s resilience despite global economic uncertainty.

time to read

2 mins

February 17, 2026

The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

CBCP: Observe Lenten fasting from digital media

Catholics can practice digital media fasting this Lenten season as excessive exposure to streaming and gaming weakens their “interior life,” the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) said yesterday.

time to read

1 min

February 17, 2026

The Philippine Star

1st day of Fire Horse year: Good wishes, good fortune

Today is the first day of the lunar new year, popularly referred to as Chinese New Year, although it is as well the Vietnamese New Year Tet and the Korean New Year Seollal.

time to read

4 mins

February 17, 2026

The Philippine Star

Tributes pour in for JDV

Speaker Faustino Dy III yesterday joined former speakers of the House of Representatives in paying tribute to the late congressman Jose de Venecia, who had served as presiding officer of the lower chamber for 15 years.

time to read

1 min

February 17, 2026

The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

Phl ready to cooperate with Interpol – Palace

No gov't plan for Phl's return to ICC

time to read

6 mins

February 17, 2026

The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

Marcos: Over 423,000 housing units constructed

The administration has built and financed more than 423,000 housing units since 2022, President Marcos said yesterday, as he vowed to fast-track home construction and improve access to affordable and decent housing.

time to read

1 min

February 17, 2026

The Philippine Star

DepEd ordered to consult stakeholders on trimester

Malacañang yesterday backed calls for extensive consultations with stakeholders on the Department of Education (DepEd)'s proposal to shift to a trimester system starting next school year.

time to read

2 mins

February 17, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size