Try GOLD - Free
2-MW generator en route to Siquijor amid power crisis
The Freeman
|June 08, 2025
A 2-megawatt modular generator set is on its way to Siquijor to help ease the island’s worsening power crisis, following the province’s declaration of a state of calamity earlier this week.
As part of the agreed actions to address the crisis, the National Electrification Administration (NEA) has partnered with the Palawan Electric Cooperative (PALECO) to facilitate the transfer of the generator.
The unit is set to leave Palawan today, June 8, and is expected to arrive in Siquijor by June 12. It will be installed at the Province of Siquijor Electric Cooperative's (Prosielco) headquarters in Nonoc, Larena.
The additional power source is seen as a crucial step toward stabilizing electricity in the province, which has endured nearly a month of daily blackouts lasting up to five hours. Some areas reportedly receive only two to five hours of electricity per day.
Governor Jake Villa declared the province under a state of calamity on June 3, following the unanimous approval of the Provincial Board.
He described the island's power situation as “unbearable” during a press conference that, fittingly, was disrupted by a power outage.
“We want the public to know, especially the Siquijodnons, that the challenge has become unbearable. We have been experiencing daily blackouts,” Villa said.
“This is the first time nga extreme ang problema sa kuryente,” he added, noting that previous brownouts usually lasted only one to two hours.
This story is from the June 08, 2025 edition of The Freeman.
Subscribe to Magzter GOLD to access thousands of curated premium stories, and 10,000+ magazines and newspapers.
Already a subscriber? Sign In
MORE STORIES FROM The Freeman
The Freeman
Pam: Kill plot may be linked to intensified drive against crimes
Cebu Governor Pamela Baricuatro believes that the reported threat to her life may be linked to her administration's intensified campaign against criminality in the province.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
DSWD launches awareness week against sexual abuse
To address growing concerns over online sexual abuse and exploitation of children (OSAEC) and other forms of child sexual abuse in the country, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD)-7 launched a weeklong campaign to raise awareness.
1 min
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
West Phl Sea official maps since 2012
The government's mapping agency pushed back on Wednesday, February 18, against claims that the West Philippine Sea lacks coordinates and does not exist on Philippine maps.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
DBP optimistic on growth despite profit drop
The Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP) remains optimistic on its prospects for this year despite posting a lower net income in 2025 due to higher provisioning to preserve its asset quality following delays in contractors' loan repayments amid a corruption scandal linked to government projects.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
Senior Israeli minister pushes for 'emigration' of Palestinian areas
A senior Israeli far-right minister vowed to encourage “emigration” from the Palestinian territories, despite mounting criticism of recent measures tightening Israel’s control over the occupied West Bank.
1 mins
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
NBI-7 probing into hit-and-run incident
“The NBI can always investigate on motu propio (on his own impulse), especially for crimes like this (that) can be considered high-profile cases,” she explained.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
Zelensky says European role at Geneva talks vital
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Wednesday Europe’s participation at talks in Geneva with US and Russian delegations was vital for any agreements reached on halting the war to hold.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
Archival halts road widening in Buhisan
Cebu City Mayor Nestor Archival is set to temporary stop the road widening and excavation works in Barangay Buhisan until all necessary permits are renewed and safety measures are secured.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
2026 Ash Wednesday and Lent
It is a wake-up call.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
Making Waves at Art Fair PH 2026
Since its formation in 2013, Cebu’s Qube Gallery has done well in showcasing the creative inflections of Cebu’s artists.
1 mins
February 19, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
