Facebook Pixel Apex court refuses pause in KG basin gas dispute hearing | Hindustan Times Mumbai - newspaper - Read this story on Magzter.com
Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Get unlimited access to 10,000+ magazines, newspapers and Premium stories for just

$149.99
 
$74.99/Year

Try GOLD - Free

Apex court refuses pause in KG basin gas dispute hearing

Hindustan Times Mumbai

|

May 21, 2026

The Supreme Court on Wednesday declined to pause proceedings in the high-stakes Krishna-Godavari (KG) basin gas migration dispute between the Centre and a Reliance Industries Limited (RIL)-led consortium, even as the consortium informed the court that it intends to approach the Union government seeking conciliation or mediation of the matter.

- Utkarsh Anand

After the RIL’s legal team mentioned the matter before Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, the CJI said that the hearing would continue unless both sides jointly informed the court that a resolution had been reached.

The development came a day after the Centre accused the consortium of having “virtually committed a theft” of natural gas belonging to state-run the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (ONGC) from adjoining offshore fields in the KG basin off the Andhra Pradesh coast.

The hearing had on Tuesday commenced before the bench comprising the CJI and justices Joymalya Bagchi and Vipul M Pancholi.

“Petitioners will today to approach the government...petitioners will write to the central government to attempt reconciliation or mediation. This is an ongoing contract and we are still in a contractual relationship with them,” counsel for the consortium, including advocates Sameer Parekh and Mahesh Agarwal, told the court.

Attorney General R Venkataramani, appearing for the Centre, opposed any halt in the proceedings and urged the court to continue hearing the appeals.

“Let us complete the hearing, my lords. If there is any other development in the meantime, we can always bring it to the notice of the court. Why should the hearing be discontinued?” the attorney general submitted.

MORE STORIES FROM Hindustan Times Mumbai

Hindustan Times Mumbai

Hindustan Times Mumbai

42 US fighter jets, drones lost or damaged in Iran war: Report

At least 42 US aircraft, including fighter jets and drones, were lost or damaged during Operation Epic Fury launched on February 28 targeting Iran, according to an official report.

time to read

1 mins

May 21, 2026

Hindustan Times Mumbai

What AI can do for the judiciary, what it can’t

‘We have seen our morphed pics too,’ said former Chief Justice of India BR Gavai last year. It was a humorous yet striking admission: Even judges are no longer insulated from the distortions of the digital age.

time to read

3 mins

May 21, 2026

Hindustan Times Mumbai

When State returns to the policy centrestage

The world has quietly abandoned free-market orthodoxy. The Washington Consensus is dead. India helped prove it wrong. Now it must prove itself right

time to read

4 mins

May 21, 2026

Hindustan Times Mumbai

Hindustan Times Mumbai

Iran's Guards warn of war 'beyond region' if US attacks

Iran's chief negotiator said on Wednesday the United States wanted to restart the Middle East war after President Donald Trump said he would attack again unless Tehran agreed a peace deal.

time to read

2 mins

May 21, 2026

Hindustan Times Mumbai

Apex court refuses pause in KG basin gas dispute hearing

The Supreme Court on Wednesday declined to pause proceedings in the high-stakes Krishna-Godavari (KG) basin gas migration dispute between the Centre and a Reliance Industries Limited (RIL)-led consortium, even as the consortium informed the court that it intends to approach the Union government seeking conciliation or mediation of the matter.

time to read

3 mins

May 21, 2026

Hindustan Times Mumbai

Trump: Talks in final lap, strikes if no deal

Iran says conflict will expand beyond region if US resumes attacks

time to read

1 min

May 21, 2026

Hindustan Times Mumbai

State-run oil firms report 41% jump in Q4 net profit

The three state-run oil companies, controlling over 90% of domestic fuel retail market, have registered a combined net profit of ₹19,470 crore in January-March 2026 quarter, a 40.74% growth over the same period last year, despite the impact of global energy supply disruptions in March.

time to read

2 mins

May 21, 2026

Hindustan Times Mumbai

FORMER CUBAN PREZ INDICTED: U.S. OFFICIAL

Former Cuban President Raul Castro has been indicted in the United States, a senior Trump administration official told Reuters on Wednesday, in a move that marks an escalation in Washington's pressure campaign against the Caribbean island's communist government.

time to read

1 min

May 21, 2026

Hindustan Times Mumbai

Apex Kuki body revokes social boycott of nine Manipur MLAs

Kuki Inpi Manipur (KIM), a Kuki apex civil body, on Wednesday announced that the ‘‘social boycott’’ imposed on nine Kuki-Zo MLAs who participated in the formation of the new Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led government in February this year after the lifting of President’s Rule, has been revoked with immediate effect.

time to read

1 mins

May 21, 2026

Hindustan Times Mumbai

MODI'S MELODY GIFT TO ITALY'S MELONI IGNITES RALLY IN ANOTHER COMPANY'S STOCK

A packet of caramel toffees gifted by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to his Italian counterpart sent shares of a tiny software company soaring on Wednesday.

time to read

1 min

May 21, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size