Intentar ORO - Gratis
Kristine death toll rises to 26
The Philippine Star
|October 25, 2024
Classes, work in Luzon still suspended today
Rescuers raced yesterday to reach residents stranded by fast-rising floodwaters after torrential rains from Severe Tropical Storm Kristine submerged villages and left up to 26 people dead.
Schools and government offices were shuttered across Luzon as the storm made landfall in Isabela yesterday morning after first leaving a trail of destruction in the Bicol region.
"The rain is not stopping, so the floods are going up fast.
We have received countless reports asking for rescue," Batangas Disaster Risk Reduction and Management officer April Serrano said.
A hospital in the town of Lemery, Batangas was forced to turn away patients as its wards and emergency rooms were flooded, according to the provincial health office.
On Luzon's western coast, a surge warning was raised in Pangasinan at around 2 p.m., with officials estimating waves could reach as high as two meters.
In the hardest-hit areas of Naga City and Nabua municipality in Bicol, rescuers were using boats to reach residents stranded on rooftops.
"They are seeking assistance through (Facebook) posts and that's how we learned about them," Bicol police spokeswoman Luisa Calubaquib said.
Over 30,000 people were forced to evacuate in Bicol on Wednesday, police said, as "unexpectedly high" flooding turned streets into rivers.Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) weather specialist Lorie dela Cruz said a month's worth of rain had been dumped in Bicol within a 24-hour window from 8 a.m. on Oct. 22 until the next morning, with Camarines Sur and Legazpi City in Albay particularly hard hit.
"As of 7 a.m., we have 20 dead (throughout the Bicol region)," Bicol police chief Brig. Gen. Andre Dizon said, attributing most of the deaths to drowning and landslides.
Esta historia es de la edición October 25, 2024 de The Philippine Star.
Suscríbete a Magzter GOLD para acceder a miles de historias premium seleccionadas y a más de 9000 revistas y periódicos.
¿Ya eres suscriptor? Iniciar sesión
MÁS HISTORIAS DE The Philippine Star
The Philippine Star
Jonvic: We will find Atong Ang
Fugitive gambling tycoon Atong Ang is still in the Philippines, Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla reiterated on Wednesday.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
South Korea ex-president Yoon gets life for insurrection
A South Korean court ordered life in jail on Thursday for former president Yoon Suk Yeol, after holding him guilty on charges of abuse of authority and masterminding an insurrection, stemming from his December 2024 attempt to impose martial law.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
BOP shortfall narrows to $373 M
The country's balance of payments (BOP) position posted a $373-million deficit in January, extending the country's shortfall to a third consecutive month, as early-year external payment pressures persisted.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Aligning workspace energy for productivity and success in the Year of the Fire Horse
As the Philippines and much of Asia step into 2026, the Year of the Fire Horse brings an energetic pivot in the way space, direction, and workplace environment are perceived not just in homes but in offices and commercial properties as well.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Krishnah Gravidez explores showbiz, pursues advocacy work after Miss World Phil reign
Beauty queen Krishnah Gravidez made her customary farewell walk and crowned her successor, Asia Rose Simpson, last Feb. 4.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Ex-Rody appointee takes over NBI
An erstwhile Cabinet official of former president Rodrigo Duterte is set to assume the leadership of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Muslims begin month-long Ramadan fast
COTABATO CITY - Residents of Bangsamoro and other southern cities and provinces yesterday started their month-long Ramadan fasting season.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
BSP cuts key rate by another 25 bps
The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) trimmed interest rates anew yesterday, as the Monetary Board moved to support economic activity amid softer domestic demand while keeping inflation expectations anchored.
3 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Scary future?
Vice President Sara Duterte just confirmed our worst fears for our country’s future: she is running for President in 2028.
4 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Marcos, Robredo set to meet in Naga
Will President Marcos and his former political rival Leni Robredo bury the hatchet to counter a common opponent?
3 mins
February 20, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
