يحاول ذهب - حر
Kristine death toll rises to 26
October 25, 2024
|The Philippine Star
Classes, work in Luzon still suspended today
Rescuers raced yesterday to reach residents stranded by fast-rising floodwaters after torrential rains from Severe Tropical Storm Kristine submerged villages and left up to 26 people dead.
Schools and government offices were shuttered across Luzon as the storm made landfall in Isabela yesterday morning after first leaving a trail of destruction in the Bicol region.
"The rain is not stopping, so the floods are going up fast.
We have received countless reports asking for rescue," Batangas Disaster Risk Reduction and Management officer April Serrano said.
A hospital in the town of Lemery, Batangas was forced to turn away patients as its wards and emergency rooms were flooded, according to the provincial health office.
On Luzon's western coast, a surge warning was raised in Pangasinan at around 2 p.m., with officials estimating waves could reach as high as two meters.
In the hardest-hit areas of Naga City and Nabua municipality in Bicol, rescuers were using boats to reach residents stranded on rooftops.
"They are seeking assistance through (Facebook) posts and that's how we learned about them," Bicol police spokeswoman Luisa Calubaquib said.
Over 30,000 people were forced to evacuate in Bicol on Wednesday, police said, as "unexpectedly high" flooding turned streets into rivers.Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) weather specialist Lorie dela Cruz said a month's worth of rain had been dumped in Bicol within a 24-hour window from 8 a.m. on Oct. 22 until the next morning, with Camarines Sur and Legazpi City in Albay particularly hard hit.
"As of 7 a.m., we have 20 dead (throughout the Bicol region)," Bicol police chief Brig. Gen. Andre Dizon said, attributing most of the deaths to drowning and landslides.
هذه القصة من طبعة October 25, 2024 من The Philippine Star.
اشترك في Magzter GOLD للوصول إلى آلاف القصص المتميزة المنسقة، وأكثر من 9000 مجلة وصحيفة.
هل أنت مشترك بالفعل؟ تسجيل الدخول
المزيد من القصص من The Philippine Star
The Philippine Star
Risa: United opposition bets named by year-end
The “united opposition” will announce by year-end the common candidates they will field in the 2028 general elections after Vice President Sara Duterte declared her bid for the presidency.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
Ceccarelli vows to get better
BORMIO, Italy - Francis Ceccarelli, the 22-year-old Fil-Italian skier in the 25th Winter Olympics, may be down-but certainly not out.
1 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
VP Sara: I'm running for president in 2028
Fourth impeach case filed vs VP
4 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
Why pursuing SMPC's coal contract makes sense for big conglomerates
As the government gears up to auction Semirara Mining and Power Corp.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
BBM on VP's bid: Good luck
Palace: Apologize for EJKs, DepEd issues
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
DA orders probe into farm input anomalies
The Department of Agriculture (DA) has ordered an investigation into the procurement and distribution of farm inputs and machinery after farmers exposed alleged multibillion-peso irregularities.
1 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
'Phl will accept only UNCLOS-based COC'
Only a Code of Conduct (COC) in the South China Sea anchored on the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) will be acceptable to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), the Philippines' top diplomat said.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
Landbank raises P50 B from ASENSO bond sale
State-run Land Bank of the Philippines has raised P50 billion from its Agriculture, Sustainability, Environment and Socioeconomic Development (ASENSO) bonds, following strong demand that prompted an early close of the offer.
1 min
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
Fallible
This story hovered under the radar.
3 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
Rody wants to waive right to attend ICC hearing
Saying he does not recognize the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court, former president Rodrigo Duterte has requested the waiver of his right to attend the upcoming ICC confirmation of charges hearings next week.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
