Try GOLD - Free
Safety Probe After 2 Deaths At Yacht Race
The Straits Times
|December 28, 2024
Weather wreaks havoc on Sydney to Hobart classic as LawConnect cruise to victory
-
SYDNEY - Two sailors were killed in separate incidents in the treacherous Sydney to Hobart yacht race, officials said on Dec 27, as a string of yachts retired in powerful winds and high seas.
One of the crew members, 55-year-old Roy Quaden on Flying Fish Arctos, was hit on the head by a boom - a large horizontal pole at the bottom of the mainsail - as the fleet raced down the New South Wales coast, race organisers said.
The other man, 65-year-old Nick Smith, was struck by the main sheet aboard Bowline and thrown across the boat, said David Jacobs, vice-commodore of the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia.
Smith was described as "an experienced crew member" who was on his fifth Sydney-Hobart race.
"Unfortunately, he hit his head on the winch, and that's what killed him," Jacobs said, revising earlier official reports that both sailors had been hit by booms.
"The sailing community is a very close community, and there's about a thousand sailors on the water in this race and to lose two in this fashion is just devastating."
Other crew members tried to revive the two Australians but were unsuccessful.
This story is from the December 28, 2024 edition of The Straits Times.
Subscribe to Magzter GOLD to access thousands of curated premium stories, and 10,000+ magazines and newspapers.
Already a subscriber? Sign In
MORE STORIES FROM The Straits Times
The Straits Times
Road safety • Jail term necessary as deterrence against careless driving
I refer to the letter by Mr Allen Te Kek Chin (Jail terms for careless driving can have lasting adverse impact, Feb 10), making the case against jail terms for careless driving.
1 min
February 19, 2026
The Straits Times
Tarique Rahman won big in Bangladesh. Far bigger tests await him
He has to manoeuvre against political rivals at home and work on ties with India and US
5 mins
February 19, 2026
The Straits Times
Seoul eases curbs on N. Korea’s top daily Rodong Sinmun
Move is part of govt’s broader approach to allow public access to N. Korean materials
4 mins
February 19, 2026
The Straits Times
$15.lb budget surplus reflects uncertain economy, cyclical windfalls, say economists
MPs call for such windfall surpluses to be funnelled back into society
5 mins
February 19, 2026
The Straits Times
Hun Manet says Thailand still holding Cambodian territory
He wants Thailand to let a joint commission begin working on their disputed border
3 mins
February 19, 2026
The Straits Times
Healthcare • Central coordination can reduce Al duplication in public clusters
I welcome the setting up of the new National Artificial Intelligence (AI) Council to drive transformation in key sectors, including healthcare (Budget 2026: PM Wong to chair new National AI Council to drive transformation in key sectors, Feb 12).
1 min
February 19, 2026
The Straits Times
Maths syllabus needs to evolve to prepare students to be Al-ready
I applaud the announcements in Budget 2026 to spur artificial intelligence (AI) adoption by the workforce (PM Wong unveils $155b Budget with nationwide AI push, more support for firms and families, Feb 12).
1 mins
February 19, 2026
The Straits Times
As AI takes on legal work, what happens to the prestige of being a lawyer?
Artificial intelligence is transforming the profession, but it won't diminish it.
5 mins
February 19, 2026
The Straits Times
Is Singapore prepared for a 'rent-a-human' world?
As developments in Al pick up pace, we must master the wider implications.
5 mins
February 19, 2026
The Straits Times
PM Wong congratulates Bangladesh's new PM on election win
Prime Minister Lawrence Wong congratulated his Bangladeshi counterpart Tarique Rahman on his “decisive victory” in the Feb 12 polls.
1 min
February 19, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
