Try GOLD - Free
Toxicology report backlog leaves families in limbo
The Star
|August 18, 2025
Delays highlight a national crisis
A GRIEVING family in Boksburg North may have to wait up to 10 years for a toxicology report after the death of their 41-year-old son, a father of two, sparking outrage.
The family was promised the autopsy report within eight weeks in April, but has since been bounced between three police stations and mortuary offices, left without answers.
"The waiting is unbearable, and it feels like justice is being denied to us," said the family, too distraught to speak publicly, relying on DA Gauteng Health spokesperson and MPL Madeleine Hicklin to speak on their behalf.
Earlier this year, their son underwent what was meant to be a routine neck surgery, which was aborted mid-procedure due to scar tissue from radiation treatment in 2010. Surgeons performed an emergency tracheotomy to help him breathe. For five months, the family endured ICU visits, ventilators, and repeated setbacks.
"My child could not breathe, and I was terrified he was going to suffocate and die. I was helpless to stop it. The day he died was the most agonising of my life," his mother said.
This story is from the August 18, 2025 edition of The Star.
Subscribe to Magzter GOLD to access thousands of curated premium stories, and 10,000+ magazines and newspapers.
Already a subscriber? Sign In
MORE STORIES FROM The Star
The Star
Durban family’s desperate plea for justice over police shooting
EVERY day, Omar Ismail lives with a bullet in his head. Fragments remain lodged in his skull, too dangerous to remove.
3 mins
February 17, 2026
The Star
Witness F’s testimony postponed by Madlanga Commission
THE Madlanga Commission has postponed the hearing of Witness F after learning that he was hospitalised.
1 min
February 17, 2026
The Star
Tinkler and Co keep Top 3 ambitions alive
SEKHUKHUNE United coach Eric Tinkler has often downplayed his team’s chances of competing for the league title - a dream that now seems increasingly out of reach.
2 mins
February 17, 2026
The Star
Telkom reports 8.4% growth, riding on mobile services and data growth
SOUTH Africa's telecommunications giant, Telkom, on Monday reported a commendable 8.4% increase in earnings for the third quarter ending December 31, a performance propelled by cost-cutting and a boost in mobile service revenue.
1 mins
February 17, 2026
The Star
As dust settles from Sona, the manufacturing crisis requires action - BLSA
AS THE dust settles from Thursday night’s State of the Nation Address (Sona), attention must turn to the rapid implementation of what President Cyril Ramaphosa announced and to addressing what was left unsaid.
4 mins
February 17, 2026
The Star
Uber and Bolt risk shutting down in South Africa over licence chaos
SOUTH Africas popular e-hailing platforms including Uber and Bolt could soon find themselves on the wrong side of the law as the clock runs out on new government regulations.
1 min
February 17, 2026
The Star
The Probation Myth: Can you really be fired ‘on the spot’?
A PERSISTENT myth continues to circulate in South African workplaces: “Don't worry, he’s only been here for two weeks.
3 mins
February 17, 2026
The Star
Zuma's big plan for youth led alliance
Sources reveal former President Jacob Zuma is adamant to retain his ANC membership
2 mins
February 17, 2026
The Star
Advertising watchdog rejects fears over ‘dangerous’ washing machine advert
A COMPLAINT that a TV advert could encourage children to climb into washing machines - with potentially fatal consequences - has been dismissed by the Advertising Regulatory Board (ARB).
2 mins
February 17, 2026
The Star
Jose gets real about Madrid return
BENFICA coach Jose Mourinho insisted he is capable of saying “no” to Real Madrid president Florentino Perez as he played down rumours of a return to the Spanish giants yesterday.
2 mins
February 17, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
