Try GOLD - Free

Sara seriously considering 2028 run for presidency

The Philippine Star

|

January 14, 2025

Vice President Sara Duterte is "seriously considering" running for president in 2028, saying she could not take sitting down the "continued backsliding" of the country.

- By NEIL JAYSON SERVALLOS

"We are seriously considering," Duterte told overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) in Tokyo during a meet-and-greet event as part of her "private" trip to Japan over the weekend.

"What's happening to the country now can no longer continue. We see the country continuously backsliding. I really believe our country can be great,” she said when asked about her plans for 2028.

The Vice President’s statement was a change of tune from her previous remarks when asked about her political plans.

During her last public engagement last year, she reiterated that she would decide in 2026 whether she would run for the presidency in 2028.

While she was already considering throwing her hat into the 2028 presidential race, Duterte acknowledged how tough government reforms could be.

“It is difficult to make our countrymen understand how difficult the things we have to do are because we really have to stand firm, especially with government policies that need fixing,” she said.

“But I believe that if the people are united, that we know where we are going, our people can do it,” she added.

The Office of the Vice President (OVP) said Duterte went to Japan over the weekend on a “private trip,” during which she also paid a visit to various OFW groups.

While the OVP did not say when she returned, it said that she has been back in Manila.

Sara thanks INC

Meanwhile, Duterte yesterday thanked the members of the Iglesia ni Cristo for the church’s rally for peace, intended to drum up support for President Marcos’ call last year not to proceed with the impeachment of his former runningmate.

MORE STORIES FROM The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

Risa: United opposition bets named by year-end

The “united opposition” will announce by year-end the common candidates they will field in the 2028 general elections after Vice President Sara Duterte declared her bid for the presidency.

time to read

2 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

Ceccarelli vows to get better

BORMIO, Italy - Francis Ceccarelli, the 22-year-old Fil-Italian skier in the 25th Winter Olympics, may be down-but certainly not out.

time to read

1 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

VP Sara: I'm running for president in 2028

Fourth impeach case filed vs VP

time to read

4 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

Why pursuing SMPC's coal contract makes sense for big conglomerates

As the government gears up to auction Semirara Mining and Power Corp.

time to read

2 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

BBM on VP's bid: Good luck

Palace: Apologize for EJKs, DepEd issues

time to read

2 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

DA orders probe into farm input anomalies

The Department of Agriculture (DA) has ordered an investigation into the procurement and distribution of farm inputs and machinery after farmers exposed alleged multibillion-peso irregularities.

time to read

1 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

'Phl will accept only UNCLOS-based COC'

Only a Code of Conduct (COC) in the South China Sea anchored on the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) will be acceptable to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), the Philippines' top diplomat said.

time to read

2 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

Landbank raises P50 B from ASENSO bond sale

State-run Land Bank of the Philippines has raised P50 billion from its Agriculture, Sustainability, Environment and Socioeconomic Development (ASENSO) bonds, following strong demand that prompted an early close of the offer.

time to read

1 min

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

Fallible

This story hovered under the radar.

time to read

3 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

Rody wants to waive right to attend ICC hearing

Saying he does not recognize the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court, former president Rodrigo Duterte has requested the waiver of his right to attend the upcoming ICC confirmation of charges hearings next week.

time to read

2 mins

February 19, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size