Facebook Pixel NFA Rice Rolls Out Next Week | The Philippine Star - newspaper - Read this story on Magzter.com

Try GOLD - Free

NFA Rice Rolls Out Next Week

The Philippine Star

|

February 11, 2025

The Department of Agriculture (DA) is expected to roll out rice from the National Food Authority (NFA) by next week.

- Helen Flores, Jasper Emmanuel Arcalas

On Feb. 4, the country was placed under a food security emergency as measures set in place to pull down rice prices have failed.

With the declaration of a food security emergency, the NFA can start selling its rice stocks.

Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr., in a press briefing at Malacañang, said more than 50 local government units (LGUs) across the country have signified their interest to procure rice from the NFA.

The NFA will sell the rice stocks at P33 per kilo while the LGUs can resell the staple at P35 per kilo.

Meanwhile, Tiu Laurel said the NFA may recommend the increase in tariff on imported rice once the price of the staple drops to P42 to P45 per kilo.

"We can review, recommend for restoration, or maybe not fully restore - it can be from 15 to 20 (percent) or 15 to 25 or full 35, depending on the situation. Depending on the consultations with everybody," Tiu Laurel said.

Executive Order 62, issued by President Marcos in June last year, lowered the tariff on imported rice from 35 percent to 15 percent until 2028.

He said the government has to maintain the lower tariffs "until the rice price drops to a certain level."

"It (reduction on tariff) seems to be working as (prices of rice) are going down," Tiu Laurel said.

MORE STORIES FROM The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

Jonvic: We will find Atong Ang

Fugitive gambling tycoon Atong Ang is still in the Philippines, Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla reiterated on Wednesday.

time to read

1 min

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

South Korea ex-president Yoon gets life for insurrection

A South Korean court ordered life in jail on Thursday for former president Yoon Suk Yeol, after holding him guilty on charges of abuse of authority and masterminding an insurrection, stemming from his December 2024 attempt to impose martial law.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

BOP shortfall narrows to $373 M

The country's balance of payments (BOP) position posted a $373-million deficit in January, extending the country's shortfall to a third consecutive month, as early-year external payment pressures persisted.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

Aligning workspace energy for productivity and success in the Year of the Fire Horse

As the Philippines and much of Asia step into 2026, the Year of the Fire Horse brings an energetic pivot in the way space, direction, and workplace environment are perceived not just in homes but in offices and commercial properties as well.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

Krishnah Gravidez explores showbiz, pursues advocacy work after Miss World Phil reign

Beauty queen Krishnah Gravidez made her customary farewell walk and crowned her successor, Asia Rose Simpson, last Feb. 4.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

Ex-Rody appointee takes over NBI

An erstwhile Cabinet official of former president Rodrigo Duterte is set to assume the leadership of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).

time to read

1 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

Muslims begin month-long Ramadan fast

COTABATO CITY - Residents of Bangsamoro and other southern cities and provinces yesterday started their month-long Ramadan fasting season.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

BSP cuts key rate by another 25 bps

The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) trimmed interest rates anew yesterday, as the Monetary Board moved to support economic activity amid softer domestic demand while keeping inflation expectations anchored.

time to read

3 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

Scary future?

Vice President Sara Duterte just confirmed our worst fears for our country’s future: she is running for President in 2028.

time to read

4 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

Marcos, Robredo set to meet in Naga

Will President Marcos and his former political rival Leni Robredo bury the hatchet to counter a common opponent?

time to read

3 mins

February 20, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size