Try GOLD - Free
'Don't touch Rody's women'
The Philippine Star
|September 21, 2024
Immediately after complain- ing about the appointment of then police colonel Royina Garma as Cebu City police chief, then mayor Tomas Os- meña received a terse warning: "Don't touch the president's women."
Immediately after complaining about the appointment of then police colonel Royina Garma as Cebu City police chief, then mayor Tomas Osmeña received a terse warning: "Don't touch the president's women." According to the former mayor, he received the warning after he personally complained to then president Rodrigo Duterte at Malacañang in 2018 about Garma's appointment.
Osmeña did not say how he received the warning.
He bared the warning he received from a source, whose identity he declined to reveal, during an interview with "Storycon" on One News yesterday, during which he also indicated that Garma was so influential in the previous administration that Duterte was practically "eating out of her hand."
"When she was going to be appointed to Cebu City as chief of police, of course I have a natural interest. Somebody gave me a report from a PCSO (Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office) official that stated that when Garma was CIDG (Criminal Investigation and Detection Group) chief in Bohol, she was suspected of collecting P1 million a week from illegal gambling," Osmeña recalled.
"That's why I didn't want to accept her, because of course, I just want to protect the people of Cebu,' he added.
Despite the mayor's opposition, Garma still assumed the post, prompting Osmeña to reach out to Duterte.
"President Duterte told me, 'why don't you just tell Bong Go... everything, and we'll look into it.' I prepared documentation for Bong Go and of course nothing happened," said the former mayor.
"And then somebody told me, 'don't touch the president's women.' I said, 'what?' " he added.
Go, now a senator, was then special assistant to the president.
Osmeña declined to identify the person who gave him the warning.
This story is from the September 21, 2024 edition of The Philippine Star.
Subscribe to Magzter GOLD to access thousands of curated premium stories, and 10,000+ magazines and newspapers.
Already a subscriber? Sign In
MORE STORIES FROM The Philippine Star
The Philippine Star
GoTyme Bank tops Visa debit market in Phl
GoTyme Bank has emerged as the most used Visa debit card issuer in the Philippines, highlighting rapid growth in digital payments adoption as the lender continued to expand its customer base and transaction volumes in 2025.
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Toyota Gazoo Racing sweeps Monte Carlo podium in the 2026 WRC
Follows up with 1-2-3-4 finish in WRC Round 2 in Sweden
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
The first time my brothers & I travelled abroad together
For my four brothers and me, our recent trip to Taiwan was like a trip around the world.
5 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Megaworld investing P10 B for new malls
Property giant Megaworld Corp. is investing around P10 billion to scale up its retail portfolio, with new malls to be developed in Pampanga, Bulacan, Cavite and Bacolod.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
CBCP: Limit political dynasties to 2 relatives
Only two family members should be allowed to hold elective positions, according to a joint statement by church-based groups yesterday.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
2 Manila cops sacked for blocking motorists
Two members of the Manila Police District (MPD) have been relieved from their posts after a viral video showed them in a patrol car blocking motorists at a traffic light along Taft Avenue.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
High gold prices lift OceanaGold earnings
Australian-Canadian miner OceanaGold Philippines Inc. (OGPI) struck strong results last year, with earnings more than doubled amid soaring gold prices.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
US lingerie CEO says he was 'conned' by Epstein
Retail tycoon Les Wexner told US lawmakers on Wednesday he was \"conned\" by Jeffrey Epstein and denied any knowledge of his crimes, as Democrats pressed him over his decades-long relationship with the notorious sex offender.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Jonvic: We will find Atong Ang
Fugitive gambling tycoon Atong
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Palace: Rody’s ICC turnover lawful
The Philippine government's decision to turn over former president Rodrigo Duterte to the International Criminal Court (ICC) was lawful, Malacañang maintained yesterday, after the erstwhile chief executive claimed he was sent to The Hague “in flagrant contravention” of the Constitution and national sovereignty.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
