Try GOLD - Free
Ensure 25% quota for UT students courses of Pondy Univ, CM urges
The New Indian Express Villupuram
|June 16, 2025
In his letter submitted to vice-prez, Rangasamy recalls similar demand in the 90's after which 25% reservation was introduced for 8 courses
Chief Minister N Rangasamy submitted a representation to Vice President Jagdeep Dhankhar on Sunday seeking 25% reservation of seats for native students of Puducherry in all courses offered by Pondicherry University.
The CM handed over the letter to the VP during the latter's reception at Raj Nivas hosted by Lieutenant Governor K Kailashnathan. Speaker R Selvam was also present at the event. In the letter, Rangasamy stated, "I wish to bring to your kind attention the demand for reservation of 25% of seats to the natives of Puducherry in all the courses conducted in Pondicherry University."
He said the government, people, and student community of Puducherry had been requesting the University to implement such a reservation policy for a long time. "Since Puducherry had been trying to develop the field of education from long, especially in the sphere of higher education, the Puducherians had no chance to pursue specialised educational courses compared with their brethren in other states," he added.
This story is from the June 16, 2025 edition of The New Indian Express Villupuram.
Subscribe to Magzter GOLD to access thousands of curated premium stories, and 10,000+ magazines and newspapers.
Already a subscriber? Sign In
MORE STORIES FROM The New Indian Express Villupuram
The New Indian Express Villupuram
India, Vietnam ink pacts for free Indo-Pacific
DEFENCE Minister Rajnath Singh on Tuesday held wide-ranging talks with his Vietnamese counterpart General Phan Van Giang in Hanoi as India and Vietnam reaffirmed their shared commitment to a “free, open and stable” Indo-Pacific, while also inking MoUs on artificial intelligence and quantum technology.
1 min
May 20, 2026
The New Indian Express Villupuram
Devastated 70-yr-old NEET aspirant wants reservation for seniors in exam
AMONG the 22.05 lakh candidates who agonised over the cancellation of the May NEET-UG 2026 exam is septuagenarian Ashok Bahar.
1 mins
May 20, 2026
The New Indian Express Villupuram
Twisha probe hampered due to missing nylon belt, hunt goes on for husband
WHILE multiple teams of Bhopal Police continue searching across Madhya Pradesh and other states for advocate Samarth Singh in connection with the alleged dowry death of his former actor-model wife Twisha Sharma, a major lapse in the initial investigation has surfaced.
1 min
May 20, 2026
The New Indian Express Villupuram
Railways gives upgrade to Jammu-Katra route, push to Delhi-Howrah capacity
THE Ministry of Railways has sanctioned slope stabilisation, tunnel rehabilitation and bridge protection works on the Jammu-Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra section of Northern Railway at a cost of ₹238 crore.
1 min
May 20, 2026
The New Indian Express Villupuram
Disciplined Army man of politics passes away
MAJOR General Bhuwan Chandra Khanduri (Retd), a towering figure in Uttarakhand’s political landscape and a transformative administrator known for his discipline and integrity, passed away at Max Hospital in Dehradun on Tuesday morning. He was 91.
2 mins
May 20, 2026
The New Indian Express Villupuram
Cong didn't back operations against Maoists, says Shah
UNION Home Minister Amit Shah on Tuesday took a political swipe at the Congress, alleging that despite cooperation from several non-BJP governments in combating CPI (Maoist) insurgency, the Congress failed to support anti-Naxal operations in Chhattisgarh.
1 min
May 20, 2026
The New Indian Express Villupuram
India in green tech accord with Nordics
INDIA and the five Nordic nations on Tuesday unveiled a new “Green Technology and Innovation Strategic Partnership” at the 3rd India-Nordic Summit in Oslo, with Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his counterparts pledging deeper collaboration in clean energy, sustainability, digital innovation and emerging technologies.
1 min
May 20, 2026
The New Indian Express Villupuram
‘No trusting anyone’, says ministry on NEET re-test
Pradhan holds review meet; ‘We have learnt our lesson’, says official
1 mins
May 20, 2026
The New Indian Express Villupuram
Naxals gone, but minefields still a danger in Bastar
DESPITE the government’s declaration that the country is now free of Naxal influence, security officials have warned that the Bastar region continues to face a grave threat from a sprawling network of hidden explosives buried across its dense forests and rugged hills.
1 min
May 20, 2026
The New Indian Express Villupuram
Rajasthan, K’taka, MP key states for Cong to improve Rajya Sabha tally
POLITICAL parties are turning their focus to the Rajya Sabha polls, with 22 MPs set to retire in June 2026.
1 mins
May 20, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size

