Facebook Pixel Week after Uttarakhand cloudburst, 68 still missing | The New Indian Express Vellore - newspaper - Read this story on Magzter.com
Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Get unlimited access to 10,000+ magazines, newspapers and Premium stories for just

$149.99
 
$74.99/Year

Try GOLD - Free

Week after Uttarakhand cloudburst, 68 still missing

The New Indian Express Vellore

|

August 13, 2025

A week after a cloudburst hit Dharali, a key stop on the Gangotri Dham route in Uttarakhand's Uttarkashi district on August 4, the government has released a list of 68 missing persons.

- NARENDRA SETHI @ Dehradun

Among them are 24 residents of Nepal. Officials said the chances of survival are almost nil.

The Uttarkashi Disaster Operations Centre's list includes 24 Nepalese labourers, nine army personnel (including one JCO), 13 residents from Dharali and nearby areas, one person from Tehri, 13 from Bihar, and six from Uttar Pradesh. Only two bodies have been recovered so far.

Rescue operations have been ongoing. The Garhwal Commissioner said 1,278 people have been evacuated to safety since the disaster. NDRF and Army teams continue to search the debris. Large hotels, guesthouses, and homestays have been buried. Heavy machinery is avoided in areas with possible life signs.

MORE STORIES FROM The New Indian Express Vellore

The New Indian Express Vellore

Big train mishaps down by over 90%: Railways

WITH safety remaining the top priority of Indian Railways, consequential train accidents have declined sharply over the past decade compared with the period before 2014-15.

time to read

2 mins

May 19, 2026

The New Indian Express Vellore

The New Indian Express Vellore

Tourism looks up in J&K, trekkers keep away

THOUGH tourism is gradually rebounding in Kashmir post last year’s Pahalgam attack, adventure tourism is struggling as the trekking routes in the Valley remain off-limits, affecting the livelihood of hundreds who depend on it.

time to read

1 mins

May 19, 2026

The New Indian Express Vellore

SP Group secures ₹27,000 crore refinance from overseas creditors

THE debt-laden Shapoorji Pallonji (SP) Group, which owns an 18.6% stake in Tata Sons, has secured a refinancing deal with its overseas creditors led by Davidson Kempner, Farallon Capital and Cerberus Capital, among others, for its ₹27,000-crore debt maturing by the end of the month.

time to read

1 min

May 19, 2026

The New Indian Express Vellore

India, Europe entering golden era: PM

PRIME Minister Narendra Modi on Monday said India and Europe are entering a new “Golden Era” in their relationship as India and Norway elevated bilateral ties to a Green Strategic Partnership, deepening cooperation across clean energy, maritime industries, digital technology, healthcare and emerging technologies amid global instability.

time to read

2 mins

May 19, 2026

The New Indian Express Vellore

House panel to review NEET paper leak case, summons test agency head

AMID the NEET-UG row, the parliamentary panel on education has summoned National Testing Agency Chairperson Pradeep Kumar Joshi and other bureaucrats for deliberations on Thursday.

time to read

1 mins

May 19, 2026

The New Indian Express Vellore

SLEEP-WALKING IN A POLICY DESERT

ASHINGTON Irving's ‘Rip Van Winkle’ is about a man who wakes up after a 20-year nap to find that the American Revolution has happened and British King George III's portrait in the village inn has been replaced with that of George Washington.

time to read

3 mins

May 19, 2026

The New Indian Express Vellore

FLOSSING, MOUTHWASH CAN'T REPLACE BRUSHING

RUSHING removes plaque from the surface of the tooth and is irreplaceable by flossing or mouthwash.

time to read

1 min

May 19, 2026

The New Indian Express Vellore

Don't ignore tooth decay in kids

DOCTORS are calling for greater awareness on kids’ oral health amid the rise in tooth decay cases.

time to read

3 mins

May 19, 2026

The New Indian Express Vellore

'Vijay didn't appreciate Modi for return of Chola artefacts'

THE BJP on Monday criticised Chief Minister C Joseph Vijay for not reacting to the return of the Chola-era Anaimangalam copper plates from Leiden University in the Netherlands.

time to read

1 min

May 19, 2026

The New Indian Express Vellore

The New Indian Express Vellore

23-year-old man becomes youngest Indian-origin mayor in UK history

A 23-year-old politician representing a local council in eastern England has created history by becoming the youngest Indian-origin Mayor in the United Kingdom.

time to read

1 min

May 19, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size