Try GOLD - Free
JVP terror cannot be left out in debate on Batalanda detention centre: SJB
The Island
|April 10, 2025
The SJB yesterday (09) said that what had happened at the Batalanda detention centre (Batalanda Housing Scheme of the State Fertiliser Corporation) couldn't be debated leaving out the JVP terrorism in the late '80s.
The top SJB spokesman Mujibur Rahuman said that the JVP, that made an abortive bid to assassinate the then President J.R. Jayewardene, inside Parliament, on 18 August, 1987, as they opposed the signing of the Indo-Lanka peace accord on 29 July, 1987, couldn't absolve itself of the responsibility for the atrocities it perpetrated at that time.
The Colombo district MP said that the SJB intended to use today's debate on the Batalanda detention centre to remind the country of the JVP's brutal conduct at that time.
Responding to another query, the former UNPer said that this debate couldn't have been held at a better day.
Declaring that the UNP had no option but to fight back in the face of JVP terror, the outspoken lawmaker said that the attack on President JRJ claimed the life of Deniyaya MP Keerthi Abeywickrema and wounded several others, including then National Security Minister Lalith Athulathmudali, who was later assassinated by an LTTE gunman.
This story is from the April 10, 2025 edition of The Island.
Subscribe to Magzter GOLD to access thousands of curated premium stories, and 10,000+ magazines and newspapers.
Already a subscriber? Sign In
MORE STORIES FROM The Island
The Island
Indian Army Chief to visit Sri Lanka early next month
General Upendra Dwivedi, India’s Chief of Army Staff, is expected to visit Sri Lanka early next month to strengthen defence cooperation with the island nation. India considers Sri Lanka crucial to its Neighbourhood First policy.
2 mins
November 29, 2025
The Island
Grave case of conflict of interest raised in parliament against Deputy Minister
Grave case of conflict of interest raised in Parliament against Deputy Minister SJB Gampaha District MP Prasad Siriwardana last week levelled a series of serious allegations, in Parliament, against Deputy Minister of Digital Technology Eranga Weeraratne, accusing him of presiding over a major conflict of interest involving two private technology firms.
2 mins
November 29, 2025
The Island
JVP breakaway FSP takes up mass grave found within Colombo Port premises
JVP-splinter Frontline Socialist Party-led People's Struggle Alliance has called for an urgent and wide-ranging investigation into what is believed to be a mass grave uncovered during ongoing excavation work within the Colombo Port premises, where officials have already identified skeletal remains belonging to at least 88 individuals.
2 mins
November 29, 2025
The Island
15 inbound flights diverted to ensure safety
The Airport and Aviation Services (Sri Lanka) Pvt Ltd (AASL) yesterday moved to reassure the travelling public that stringent measures are in place to cushion the impact of the island’s severe storm conditions including Cyclone Ditwah on operations at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA).
1 min
November 29, 2025
The Island
Cyclone Ditwah moving towards Tamil Nadu, landfall in 48 hours, state on alert
Fishermen have been pulled off large stretches of the Bay, multiple districts of southern states are on red or orange alert as officials said that Cyclone Ditwah's landfall timing will hinge on its shifting track over the next 24 hours.
3 mins
November 29, 2025
The Island
AIADMK veteran Sengottaiyan joins Vijay's TVK, boosts its political heft
K A Sengottaiyan, expelled veteran of AIADMK formally joined actor Vijay’s Tamilaga Vettri Kazhagam (TVK) on Thursday, a day after resigning as MLA from the Gobichettipalayam constituency.
1 mins
November 29, 2025
The Island
New Horizons
Poverty and hunger share a tragic intertwined relationship, where each condition can both cause and perpetuate the other.
7 mins
November 29, 2025
The Island
Country reels under worst weather in living memory
56 confirmed deaths, at least 21 others missing
2 mins
November 29, 2025
The Island
Rescue efforts at Hong Kong blaze end with deaths at 128, dozens missing
Firefighting and rescue operations at Hong Kong’s deadliest blaze in decades have ended, a government spokesperson said, with the death toll rising to 128 and about 200 people still missing.
2 mins
November 29, 2025
The Island
Share market fervour soars over rampaging flood waters
The business sentiment and confidence among investors were visible yesterday at the CSE despite there being an emergency situation in the country stemming from the weather havoc.
1 mins
November 29, 2025
Listen
Translate
Change font size

