Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Get unlimited access to 10,000+ magazines, newspapers and Premium stories for just

$149.99
 
$74.99/Year

Try GOLD - Free

Famine confirmed in northern Gaza, global hunger monitor says

The Island

|

August 23, 2025

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres says Gaza famine is a 'man-made disaster', calls for immediate action

(Al Jazeera) Famine is occurring in the northern Gaza Strip and is projected to spread to central and southern areas by the end of September, a global hunger monitor has warned.

The Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) initiative said on Friday that famine was occurring in the Gaza governorate, a region where hundreds of thousands of Palestinians live in northern Gaza, and that it was likely to reach the central region of Deir el-Balah and Khan Younis in southern Gaza by the end of next month.

After 22 months of conflict, more than half a million people are facing famine (IPC Phase 5), a catastrophic situation characterised by starvation, acute malnutrition, and mortality, it said. Another 1.07 million people 54 percent of the population - are facing emergency (IPC Phase 4), and 396,000 people (20 percent) are in crisis (IPC Phase 3).

Conditions are expected to further worsen between mid-August and the end of September 2025, with famine projected to expand to the central Deir el-Balah and southern Khan Younis areas.

By the end of this period, almost a third of the population of Gaza nearly 641,000 people is expected to face catastrophic conditions (IPC Phase 5), while the number of people in emergency (IPC Phase 4) will likely increase to 1.14 million, or some 58 percent of the population.

This marks the most severe deterioration since the IPC partnership which comprises 21 organisations including UN agencies, NGOs, technical agencies and regional bodies began analysing acute food insecurity and acute malnutrition in the Gaza Strip.

It also marks the first time a famine has been officially confirmed in Gaza.

The IPC global initiative described the situation as "a race against time", adding that "famine must be stopped at all costs".

It warned that acute malnutrition was projected to continue worsening "rapidly".

MORE STORIES FROM The Island

The Island

The Island

Indian Army Chief to visit Sri Lanka early next month

General Upendra Dwivedi, India’s Chief of Army Staff, is expected to visit Sri Lanka early next month to strengthen defence cooperation with the island nation. India considers Sri Lanka crucial to its Neighbourhood First policy.

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

The Island

Grave case of conflict of interest raised in parliament against Deputy Minister

Grave case of conflict of interest raised in Parliament against Deputy Minister SJB Gampaha District MP Prasad Siriwardana last week levelled a series of serious allegations, in Parliament, against Deputy Minister of Digital Technology Eranga Weeraratne, accusing him of presiding over a major conflict of interest involving two private technology firms.

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

The Island

JVP breakaway FSP takes up mass grave found within Colombo Port premises

JVP-splinter Frontline Socialist Party-led People's Struggle Alliance has called for an urgent and wide-ranging investigation into what is believed to be a mass grave uncovered during ongoing excavation work within the Colombo Port premises, where officials have already identified skeletal remains belonging to at least 88 individuals.

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

The Island

15 inbound flights diverted to ensure safety

The Airport and Aviation Services (Sri Lanka) Pvt Ltd (AASL) yesterday moved to reassure the travelling public that stringent measures are in place to cushion the impact of the island’s severe storm conditions including Cyclone Ditwah on operations at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA).

time to read

1 min

November 29, 2025

The Island

Cyclone Ditwah moving towards Tamil Nadu, landfall in 48 hours, state on alert

Fishermen have been pulled off large stretches of the Bay, multiple districts of southern states are on red or orange alert as officials said that Cyclone Ditwah's landfall timing will hinge on its shifting track over the next 24 hours.

time to read

3 mins

November 29, 2025

The Island

The Island

AIADMK veteran Sengottaiyan joins Vijay's TVK, boosts its political heft

K A Sengottaiyan, expelled veteran of AIADMK formally joined actor Vijay’s Tamilaga Vettri Kazhagam (TVK) on Thursday, a day after resigning as MLA from the Gobichettipalayam constituency.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

The Island

The Island

New Horizons

Poverty and hunger share a tragic intertwined relationship, where each condition can both cause and perpetuate the other.

time to read

7 mins

November 29, 2025

The Island

Country reels under worst weather in living memory

56 confirmed deaths, at least 21 others missing

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

The Island

Rescue efforts at Hong Kong blaze end with deaths at 128, dozens missing

Firefighting and rescue operations at Hong Kong’s deadliest blaze in decades have ended, a government spokesperson said, with the death toll rising to 128 and about 200 people still missing.

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

The Island

The Island

Share market fervour soars over rampaging flood waters

The business sentiment and confidence among investors were visible yesterday at the CSE despite there being an emergency situation in the country stemming from the weather havoc.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size