Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Get unlimited access to 10,000+ magazines, newspapers and Premium stories for just

$149.99
 
$74.99/Year

Try GOLD - Free

Promenade cycling ban 'will be staying in place'

The Gazette

|

May 02, 2025

COUNCIL STICKING TO ITS GUNS OVER RESTRICTIONS

- By STUART ARNOLD Local democracy reporter

Promenade cycling ban 'will be staying in place'

A BAN on cyclists riding along Saltburn’s Lower Promenade is here to stay, a council says, after its policy and use of signs were criticised.

Redcar and Cleveland Council prohibits cyclists from using the Lower Promenade between 10am and 5.30pm between Good Friday and October 31 in order to protect the safety of pedestrians.

Keen cyclist Philip Chisholm said 'no cycling' signs should be removed and replaced with 'cyclists dismount' signs.

Mr Chisholm claimed the local authority did not have the authority to enforce no cycling restrictions since the Lower Promenade was unadopted and also suggested there had been no accidents to speak of. The council said it was the landowner and allowed cyclists access to the Lower Promenade at its “sole discretion”.

It also said it was exercising powers using a public space protection order which can impose restrictions on users of any public space, whether adopted highway or not, and in this case they would remain “strictly in place”.

The matter is further complicated by the fact that the Lower Promenade has until recently long formed part of the National Cycle Network 1 (NCN1) route managed by the charity Sustrans.

The council has indicated its desire to change the route so it passes along Milton Street, avoiding the Lower Promenade and Saltburn Bank, which is deemed to be dangerous for young cyclists, although any upgrade would be subject to funding.

MORE STORIES FROM The Gazette

The Gazette

The Gazette

THE FUN OF THE AIR

CITROEN'S SECOND-GENERATION C3 AIRCROSS OFFERS FAMILIES A PERFECTLY PRACTICAL SUV, IF YOU DON'T MIND MAKING A FEW COMPROMISES ON THE WAY

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Gazette

The Gazette

Tributes paid to 'true gent' and 'legend' Rocco Linardi

RESTAURANTEUR DIES DAYS AFTER 83RD BIRTHDAY

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Gazette

This is the kind of role an actor dreams of

SYDNEY SWEENEY SHARES THE IMPACT PORTRAYING BOXER AND ABUSE SURVIVOR CHRISTY MARTIN HAS HAD ON HER. BY LYNN RUSK

time to read

3 mins

November 28, 2025

The Gazette

One Hell of a task: New boss Kim must hit ground running

HELLBERG NEEDS TO EMULATE QUICK IMPACT MADE BY BORO'S LAST THREE HEAD COACHES

time to read

4 mins

November 28, 2025

The Gazette

The Gazette

Hellberg reveals big ambitions as boss gets down to work

PREMIER LEAGUE THE AIM - BUT IT MIGHT NOT HAPPEN THIS YEAR, WARNS COACH

time to read

3 mins

November 28, 2025

The Gazette

£2m 'bigger and better' steel site work begins

WORK is under way on a £2m project for Teesside steel specialists to become “bigger and better” - creating new jobs to boot.

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Gazette

Ex-Debenhams building will go to highest bidder

£350K GUIDE PRICE AS IT HEADS TO AUCTION

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Gazette

The Gazette

Footy club says new fence is a 'necessity' to keep young safe

A FENCE that has been erected around the Thorntree Park playing fields and pavilion has been described as a \"necessity\" to ensure the safety of kids playing football.

time to read

4 mins

November 28, 2025

The Gazette

Frank words of advice for new boss

FRANK Lampard offered Kim Hellberg some valuable advice, with the Coventry City boss able to relate to the situation the new Middlesbrough boss finds himself in.

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

The Gazette

Shrubs and trees' winter striptease

DRAMATIC STRUCTURES ARE STILL DAZZLING OUTDOORS

time to read

2 mins

November 28, 2025

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size