Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Go Unlimited with Magzter GOLD

Get unlimited access to 10,000+ magazines, newspapers and Premium stories for just

$149.99
 
$74.99/Year

Try GOLD - Free

'No plans' for under-16 social media ban in UK

The Gazette

|

April 25, 2025

THE UK Government would not support an Australia-style blanket ban on under16s using social media, the Technology Secretary has said.

'No plans' for under-16 social media ban in UK

Peter Kyle said he believes decisions about when children should access social media should be left to parents.

Last year, he had suggested such a ban in the UK could be “on the table” if companies did not take action to protect children, but has since softened his stance on the issue, suggesting he had “no plans” for such a ban.

Australia introduced the world’s highest age restriction on social media use last year, barring children under 16 from creating accounts.

But Mr Kyle, speaking to Nicky Campbell on BBC Radio 5 Live, said: “Parents need to have the flexibility to parent in a way that's suitable for their children and circumstances.

MORE STORIES FROM The Gazette

The Gazette

The Gazette

Strelec set to return but defenders still missing

MIDDLESBROUGH have been handed a fitness boost ahead of Derby County's visit today, with David Strelec expected to be back in the squad.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

Island in the limelight

IF YOU MISSED THE BOAT THIS SUMMER, NOW'S THE PERFECT TIME TO HEAD TO MENORCA, SAYS SAMANTHA WOSTEAR

time to read

3 mins

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

The Gazette

Max says Norris will feel pressure

FORMULA ONE Max Verstappen has told Lando Norris that if he was driving his McLaren the world championship would “easily” be over.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

Remote control

COERCIVE THEO MANIPULATES BATTERED TODD INTO ISOLATING HIMSELF IN THE FLAT... BUT IS THE GAME UP?

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

Victim says partner's brutal attacks felt like 'living in horror film'

A DRUNKEN Middlesbrough thug left his partner feeling like she was living in “a horror film” after subjecting her to a series of violent attacks.

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

Hellberg vows to give every player a chance to prove

KIM Hellberg says every Middlesbrough player will have a clean slate and an opportunity to impress him over the coming weeks, as he gets to know his squad.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

Ditching first day rights for workers 'not U-turn'

THE government's decision to abandon day-one workers’ rights against unfair dismissal is not a U-turn and does not break Labour's election manifesto, a senior Cabinet minister has insisted.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

Merger of two GP practices is confirmed

HEALTH chiefs have approved a merger between two Teesside GP practices.

time to read

1 min

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

The Gazette

England are facing a pink-ball ‘lottery’

ENGLAND'S hopes of levelling the Ashes scoreline are at the mercy of a pink-ball “lottery”, according to Stuart Broad.

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

Woman dies after being hit by lorry

POLICE ISSUE APPEAL TO ANY WITNESSES OF A66 INCIDENT

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size