Try GOLD - Free
No passengers from platform for over a year
The Gazette
|October 10, 2025
FRUSTRATION OVER PROJECT DELAYS AS RAIL FOOTBRIDGE REMAINS CLOSED
South Bank rail station, pictured here in 204 and, below, a recent picture of the closed footbridge
IT'S a lonely existence for South Bank's platform two - it hasn't served a passenger for more than a year.
On October 10, 2024, Redcar and Cleveland Council announced on social media that the footbridge at the railway station would be closed "with immediate effect", following safety concerns raised at an inspection.
The local council owns the bridge, which provides the sole access to eastbound platform two, transporting passengers to Redcar and Saltburn.
When it was open, the footbridge also provided access to the north of the station.
Trains that previously called at South Bank on the way to Redcar now pass through the station nonstop, while westbound services to Middlesbrough, Darlington and Bishop Auckland remain unaffected.
Northern Rail, who run the only services that call at South Bank, have been operating a once an hour minibus rail-replacement, starting at Middlesbrough station, then calling at South Bank and finally Redcar.
This story is from the October 10, 2025 edition of The Gazette.
Subscribe to Magzter GOLD to access thousands of curated premium stories, and 10,000+ magazines and newspapers.
Already a subscriber? Sign In
MORE STORIES FROM The Gazette
The Gazette
Strelec set to return but defenders still missing
MIDDLESBROUGH have been handed a fitness boost ahead of Derby County's visit today, with David Strelec expected to be back in the squad.
1 mins
November 29, 2025
The Gazette
Island in the limelight
IF YOU MISSED THE BOAT THIS SUMMER, NOW'S THE PERFECT TIME TO HEAD TO MENORCA, SAYS SAMANTHA WOSTEAR
3 mins
November 29, 2025
The Gazette
Max says Norris will feel pressure
FORMULA ONE Max Verstappen has told Lando Norris that if he was driving his McLaren the world championship would “easily” be over.
1 mins
November 29, 2025
The Gazette
Remote control
COERCIVE THEO MANIPULATES BATTERED TODD INTO ISOLATING HIMSELF IN THE FLAT... BUT IS THE GAME UP?
1 mins
November 29, 2025
The Gazette
Victim says partner's brutal attacks felt like 'living in horror film'
A DRUNKEN Middlesbrough thug left his partner feeling like she was living in “a horror film” after subjecting her to a series of violent attacks.
2 mins
November 29, 2025
The Gazette
Hellberg vows to give every player a chance to prove
KIM Hellberg says every Middlesbrough player will have a clean slate and an opportunity to impress him over the coming weeks, as he gets to know his squad.
1 mins
November 29, 2025
The Gazette
Ditching first day rights for workers 'not U-turn'
THE government's decision to abandon day-one workers’ rights against unfair dismissal is not a U-turn and does not break Labour's election manifesto, a senior Cabinet minister has insisted.
1 mins
November 29, 2025
The Gazette
Merger of two GP practices is confirmed
HEALTH chiefs have approved a merger between two Teesside GP practices.
1 min
November 29, 2025
The Gazette
England are facing a pink-ball ‘lottery’
ENGLAND'S hopes of levelling the Ashes scoreline are at the mercy of a pink-ball “lottery”, according to Stuart Broad.
2 mins
November 29, 2025
The Gazette
Woman dies after being hit by lorry
POLICE ISSUE APPEAL TO ANY WITNESSES OF A66 INCIDENT
1 mins
November 29, 2025
Listen
Translate
Change font size

