Try GOLD - Free
UNESCO heritage tag for sites of Khmer Rouge brutality
Orissa POST
|July 13, 2025
Three locations used by Cambodia’s brutal Khmer Rouge regime as torture and execution sites 50 years ago have been added by UNESCO to its World Heritage List.
The three locations were inscribed to the list by the United Nations cultural agency Friday during the 47th Session of the World Heritage Committee in Paris.
The inscription coincided with the 50th anniversary of the rise to power by the communist Khmer Rouge government, which caused the deaths of an estimated 1.7 million Cambodians through starvation, torture and mass executions during a four-year reign from 1975 to 1979.
UNESCO’s World Heritage List lists sites considered important to humanity and includes the Great Wall of China, the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt, the Taj Mahal in India and Cambodia's Angkor archaeological complex.
The three sites listed Friday include two notorious prisons and an execution site immortalised in a Hollywood film.
Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, located in the capital Phnom Penh, is the site of a former high school used by the Khmer Rouge as a notorious prison. Better known as S-21, about 15,000 people were imprisoned and tortured there.
This story is from the July 13, 2025 edition of Orissa POST.
Subscribe to Magzter GOLD to access thousands of curated premium stories, and 10,000+ magazines and newspapers.
Already a subscriber? Sign In
MORE STORIES FROM Orissa POST
Orissa POST
Maruti Suzuki unveils e-Vitara in City
Maruti Suzuki India Limited marked a major milestone in its electrification journey with the official launch of its first all-electric SUV, the e-Vitara, in authorized dealerships Tushi Motors and Sky Automobiles in Bhubaneswar Thursday.
1 min
February 20, 2026
Orissa POST
When Shivaji drew large crowds during 1666 visit to Aurangabad
Maharashtra's Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar (formerly Aurangabad), though not part of the then Hindavi Swarajya, holds a notable place in history for hosting Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj during his journey to Agra in April 1666, eight years before his coronation.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
Orissa POST
EC notifies 22 states, UTs
In a letter to chief electoral officers of 22 states and UTs, EC said pan-India SIR of voters' list was ordered in June last year
1 min
February 20, 2026
Orissa POST
IMAGE HIT OVER COUGH SYRUP DEATHS: SC RAPS PHARMA FIRM
\"Do you realise what dent it has caused to the country's image,\" the Supreme Court Thursday asked a pharmaceutical firm whose cough syrups allegedly resulted in death of more than 18 children in Uzbekistan.
1 min
February 20, 2026
Orissa POST
Taneira expands footprint in Bhubaneswar with new store
Taneira, a Tata product, continues to expand its presence in Bhubaneswar with the launch of its newest store located in Chandrashekarpur here Thursday.
1 min
February 20, 2026
Orissa POST
Govt forms steering committee for 'Baraputra Aitihya Gram Yojana'
In a significant step towards preserving Odisha’s rich historical and cultural legacy, the state government constituted a state-level project steering committee to oversee the implementation of ‘Baraputra Aitihya Gram Yojana’ in state.
1 min
February 20, 2026
Orissa POST
Ch'garh community bars engaged couples from chats
A community in Chhattisgarh's Balod district has banned engaged couples from speaking to each other privately on the phone till the wedding, citing an increase in relationship breakups.
1 mins
February 20, 2026
Orissa POST
Man, daughter found dead in river; 2 missing
Two members of a family were found dead in a river while two others remain missing in Koraput district, police said Thursday.
1 min
February 20, 2026
Orissa POST
MYSTERY SHROUDS SALESGIRL’S DEATH
Mystery shrouds the death of a 20-year-old salesgirl working at a shopping mall in the main market area of Basudevpur, who died under suspicious circumstances while undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Cuttack Wednesday.
1 min
February 20, 2026
Orissa POST
All tourist spots likely to reopen by May: CM Omar
Winding up the discussion Demands for Grants in the legislative Assembly here, Abdullah said his government worked step by step' to revive tourism in the aftermath of the April 22, 2025, Pahalgam terror attack, at a time when many in the industry believed visitors would not return to the Union Territory for years
2 mins
February 20, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
