Try GOLD - Free
New ₱500K cash cap a success-Remolona
Manila Bulletin
|October 14, 2025
While the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) moves to ramp up its anti-money laundering system, the central bank chief said the ₱500,000 cash withdrawal limit has so far been a "very effective" measure.
-
"I think it's very effective so far. As best we can tell, it's a very effective measure," BSP Governor Eli M. Remolona Jr. told reporters during an Oct. 13 press chat on the central bank's thought leadership in research.
Remolona said the ₱500,000 cap aligns with the reporting threshold for covered transactions, since banks must report any deal at that amount or higher. Beyond these reports, lenders also file Suspicious Transaction Reports (STRs) for cases that warrant closer scrutiny.
"We're looking at it to enhance [the system] and make it easier for us to connect the dots," Remolona said.
According to Remolona, BSP-supervised financial institutions (BSFIs) are supportive of the new regulation, which took effect on Oct. 7, noting that it adds a layer of power for banks in flagging suspicious cash flows.
This story is from the October 14, 2025 edition of Manila Bulletin.
Subscribe to Magzter GOLD to access thousands of curated premium stories, and 10,000+ magazines and newspapers.
Already a subscriber? Sign In
MORE STORIES FROM Manila Bulletin
Manila Bulletin
5.7 M students to benefit from Free College Law next year
Around 5.7 million students in State Universities and Colleges (SUC) and Local Universities and Colleges (LUC) are expected to benefit from the Free College Law next year, Senator Paolo “Bam” Aquino IV said on Friday, Nov. 28.
1 mins
November 29, 2025
Manila Bulletin
What makes Northern Mindanao a memorable destination?
How community-based tourism leaves lasting memories
2 mins
November 29, 2025
Manila Bulletin
Manila joins CPTPP aspirants list
The formal process to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) could begin next year for the Philippines after its membership bid was recognized by the bloc's top brass, the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) said.
2 mins
November 29, 2025
Manila Bulletin
ICC rejects Duterte's release
The International Criminal Court (ICC) Appeals Chamber has unanimously confirmed the decision rejecting the request for former president Rodrigo Duterte's interim release, ruling once again that his detention remains necessary.
1 mins
November 29, 2025
Manila Bulletin
Diesel price may be rolled back by ₱3.20
Motorists are set for a steep drop in fuel prices, a respite after months of price volatility.
1 min
November 29, 2025
Manila Bulletin
Tariff headwinds fail to halt record exports
Despite lingering United States (US) tariff headwinds, the Philippines’ goods exports during the first 10 months of 2025 reached a new record high, while imports recorded the second-highest level on record, the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) reported.
2 mins
November 29, 2025
Manila Bulletin
Marcos goes after Zaldy Co's air assets; Alcantara returns ₱110 M
President Marcos has ordered transport and aviation authorities to coordinate with their counterparts in Malaysia and Singapore to track down helicopters and aircraft allegedly linked to former congressman Zaldy Co, saying the government will not allow stolen public assets to be used to evade the law.
4 mins
November 29, 2025
Manila Bulletin
Nuclear not threat to JERA's PH LNG
Transition energy giant JERA Co. Inc. sees the growing openness of multilateral development banks (MDBs) to finance nuclear power as complementary—not a threat—to its liquefied natural gas (LNG) business, as both technologies can play distinct roles in helping developing countries like the Philippines manage the “energy trilemma” of security, affordability, and sustainability, according to a top official.
2 mins
November 29, 2025
Manila Bulletin
Mickey Mouse and friends take over Singapore
Changi Airport and Jewel unveil Disney's year-end activities
1 mins
November 29, 2025
Manila Bulletin
PBBM, Isko, open new health, housing facilities in Manila
President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. and Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso unveiled a series of major health and housing facilities in the city on Thursday, Nov. 27, highlighting Manila's rapid expansion of public services through new laboratories, clinics, hospitals, and in-city housing projects.
1 mins
November 29, 2025
Listen
Translate
Change font size

