Try GOLD - Free

Marcos vows to fix flood control problems

Manila Bulletin

|

August 25, 2025

DPWH braces for sweeping internal 'cleansing' over ghost projects

- ARGYLL CYRUS GEDUCOS and TRIXEE ROSEL

Marcos vows to fix flood control problems

President Marcos declared that he would not leave office until after the country's flood control problems have been resolved even as he called out corruption and poor workmanship in government projects.

"If there's one thing, I will not leave this office until I fix this. This is one of those things," Marcos said during an inspection of the Kennon Road rockshed project at Camp 6.

Barangay Camp 4, Tuba, Benguet, on Sunday, Aug. 24.

The President, joined by Baguio City Mayor Benjamin Magalong and Tuba Mayor Clarita Sal-ongan, personally checked the 152-meter structure meant to protect motorists from landslides. He pointed out major defects, including collapsed slope protection and erosion under the road.

"You can see for yourself na talagang hindi tinrabaho nang mabuti ito (you can see for yourself that this was not properly done)," he said, adding that the project's supposed safeguards "collapsed immediately." Marcos noted that the P260 million spent on the project had "no effect whatsoever" in protecting the area.

"Parang walang ginawa (It's as if nothing was done)," he said.

"Wala silang itinayo, wala silang nilagay na wall, wala silang nilagay na riprap, wala silang nilagay na slope protection (They did not build anything, they did not put up a wall, they did not put a riprap, they did not put slope protection)," he added.

According to the President, fixing the infrastructure would cost the government more.

"To correct this will cost double that. That's my top-of-the-head estimate. P500 million ito para ayusin (to fix this)," he said.

"So, how can you tell me that it's not economic sabotage? Kinuha mo yung P260 million, wala kaming nakitang effect dun sa kanyang ginawa na kontrata (You took P260 million, but we didn't see the effect of that contract)," he added.

MORE STORIES FROM Manila Bulletin

Manila Bulletin

Semirara confident of winning new contract

Consunji-led Semirara Mining and Power Corp. (SMPC) sought to calm investors selling down its stock, as well as that of parent company DMCI Holdings Inc., by expressing confidence it will win the bid for a new coal operating contract (COC) after the government said it will not extend the existing mining permit.

time to read

1 mins

February 19, 2026

Manila Bulletin

Kerwin Espinosa back to work after release from jail

Albuera, Leyte Mayor Rolan \"Kerwin\" Espinosa returned to work on Monday, Feb. 16, after his release from the Cebu City Jail last week.

time to read

1 min

February 19, 2026

Manila Bulletin

Graft-linked funds exceed P4B

The Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC), the country’s financial intelligence unit, received reports of suspicious fund flows linked to alleged graft and corrupt practices totaling more than P4 billion.

time to read

1 mins

February 19, 2026

Manila Bulletin

Manila Bulletin

Miss Universe PH 2026 in full swing

The search for the next Filipina Miss Universe officially kicked off as 51 candidates vying for the Miss Universe Philippines 2026 crown were formally presented at the Grand Ballroom of City of Dreams Manila on Feb. 16.

time to read

3 mins

February 19, 2026

Manila Bulletin

SC receives donation of audio-visual equipment from Dutch government

Thirty cybercrime courts in the country are recipients of the upgraded audiovisual equipment donated by the Netherlands government to enhance the handling of cases of online child sexual abuse, unlawful data access and interference, and sophisticated financial or crypto-enabled crimes.

time to read

1 mins

February 19, 2026

Manila Bulletin

Summer classes my mother sent us to

It already feels like summer, although the evenings are still chilly.

time to read

3 mins

February 19, 2026

Manila Bulletin

Pacquiao vs Ruslan in April exhibition

After returning to active status, Filipino boxing great Manny Pacquiao is once again seeing action in an exhibition, this time against former world champion Ruslan Provodnikov on April 18 at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas.

time to read

1 min

February 19, 2026

Manila Bulletin

Manila Bulletin

4 dead in crashes involving over 30 vehicles in 'brown out' conditions on Colorado interstate

Four people died in crashes involving over 30 vehicles, including six semitrailers, on an interstate in Colorado Tuesday after blowing dirt made it nearly impossible to see, authorities said.

time to read

1 min

February 19, 2026

Manila Bulletin

2 weather systems prevailing over PH

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration on Wednesday, Feb. 11 said two weather systems are prevailing over the country, with the northeast monsoon affecting Luzon and the easterlies influencing the rest of the country.

time to read

1 min

February 19, 2026

Manila Bulletin

Dagoon dazzles in GenSan

Jan Cadee Dagoon continued her blazing run on the national junior circuit, delivering another commanding performance at the Mayor Lorelie Pacquiao National Junior Tennis Championships at the GenSan City and Camp Lira courts Monday, Feb. 16.

time to read

1 min

February 19, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size