Try GOLD - Free
Afghanistan and Pakistan have agreed to an immediate ceasefire
Manila Bulletin
|October 20, 2025
Afghanistan and Pakistan, embroiled in more than a week of fighting that has killed dozens of people and injured hundreds, have agreed to an immediate ceasefire, Qatar's Foreign Ministry said Sunday.
-
Locals dig graves for people killed in a cross-border airstrike by the Pakistani army in Afghanistan's eastern Paktika province, Saturday, Oct. 18, 2025. (AP Photo/Shafiqullah Mashaal)
(AP Photo/Shafiqullah Mashaal)
It is the deadliest crisis between the two countries in several years.
The sides agreed to establish mechanisms to consolidate lasting peace and stability, and to hold followup talks in the coming days to ensure the sustainability of the truce, the Qatari statement said. Qatar and Turkey mediated the negotiations, the statement added.
Violence has escalated between the neighbors since earlier this month, with each country saying they were responding to aggression from the other. Afghanistan denies harboring militants who carry out attacks in border areas.
Pakistan is grappling with militancy that has surged since 2021, when the Taliban seized control of Afghanistan and returned to power.
This story is from the October 20, 2025 edition of Manila Bulletin.
Subscribe to Magzter GOLD to access thousands of curated premium stories, and 10,000+ magazines and newspapers.
Already a subscriber? Sign In
MORE STORIES FROM Manila Bulletin
Manila Bulletin
Milan Design Week 2026: The rise of regenerative urban spaces
When the global design community converged last month for Milan Design Week (MDW) 2026, the conversation shifted from aesthetic indulgence toward a regenerative blueprint for urban living.
2 mins
May 24, 2026
Manila Bulletin
DND pushes AI, cyber defense shift in talks with US
The Department of National Defense (DND) has advanced its strategies to expand the country’s cyber defense and artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities during a recent meeting with United States officials.
2 mins
May 24, 2026
Manila Bulletin
Birthday celebrant killed in Ilocos motorcycle crash
A 34-year-old man who was celebrating his birth anniversary and his companion were killed in a motorcycle crash in Barangay Tablac here before dawn on Friday, May 22.
1 min
May 24, 2026
Manila Bulletin
VESCO breaks ground on The Central at Villa Escudero
Accessibility meets a master-planned commercial district in a new gateway to the South
3 mins
May 24, 2026
Manila Bulletin
Where every day feels like a getaway
Megaworld Corporation offers a first look at the clubhouse of Maple Grove Park Village, designed to bring resort-inspired living closer to home
2 mins
May 24, 2026
Manila Bulletin
45 years of 'hair', there, and everywhere
I turned 71 last month, and if you’ll allow me a vestige of vanity, that vestige would be mirrored by what’s left of my hair thickness, density, and the relative health of my hair roots and shafts.
4 mins
May 24, 2026
Manila Bulletin
Solomon joins PVL Draft
The Philippine Volleyball League may have lost another team but gained one surefire attraction in Alyssa Solomon for the coming season.
1 min
May 24, 2026
Manila Bulletin
Financial protection over office perks
Its presence extends to satellite offices across the country, from northern hubs like Angeles and Legazpi, through Iloilo and Dumaguete in the Visayas, down to Cagayan de Oro, Kidapawan, and General Santos in Mindanao.
1 min
May 24, 2026
Manila Bulletin
Iqbal confirms BARMM dismissal
Bangsamoro Parliament member Mohagher M. Iqbal confirmed on Friday, May 22, his dismissal as minister of the Ministry of Basic, Higher, and Technical Education in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.
1 mins
May 24, 2026
Manila Bulletin
The Architecture of Arrival: Inside the Crown Asia Collection
A life of achievement eventually asks for an address worthy of its ascent.
3 mins
May 24, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size

