Try GOLD - Free

Best of both worlds

Daily Record

|

December 05, 2025

Durie recounts tie with top talents ... even if he went by Darren for day

- BY ANDY NEWPORT

THE last time Scotland found their name going into the World Cup hat, Gordon Durie was the lucky man handed a late invite to represent the nation on the global stage.

But what greeted him in Marseille was a sight so terrifying he was soon left worrying about another early exit.

It was 28 years ago this week FIFA decided to throw a glitzy gala exhibition clash at the Stade Velodrome ahead of the draw for France 98.

Each of the 32 participating countries had been asked to send a player to take part in a star-studded game between a European XI and a Rest of the World select.

But with just days to go before the glamour kickabout and draw ceremony, scrambling Scotland chiefs were left facing the embarrassing prospect of being the only nation not to feature.

Gary McAllister had been the original name on the teamsheet alongside a stellar cast including Zinidine Zidane, Patrick Kluivert and Brazilian superstar Ronaldo, only injury to force the midfielder to withdraw.

Celtic's Darren Jackson was the next man put forward but Parkhead boss Wim Jansen intervened to block his involvement on the grounds it would rule him out of a weekend trip to Rugby Park.

So with barely 24 hours' notice, it was Rangers frontman Durie who rode to the SFA's rescue as he agreed to play.

MORE STORIES FROM Daily Record

Daily Record

Spartans have to believe we can hit the Marc

MARC McNULTY insists there wouldn't be any point in Spartans going to Tannadice if they didn’t think they could pull off a Scottish Cup shock.

time to read

1 min

February 17, 2026

Daily Record

Daily Record

England limp on as Jacks insists ʻit gives you confidence

WILL JACKS insisted England's confidence had not been dented by them limping through the first group stage of the T20 World Cup after another scare - this time from Italy.

time to read

1 min

February 17, 2026

Daily Record

Daily Record

First round shock for Raducanu in Dubai

LOST MOMENTUM Raducanu

time to read

1 mins

February 17, 2026

Daily Record

Blades of glory

OAP TAKES AXE-THROWING WORLD BY STORM

time to read

2 mins

February 17, 2026

Daily Record

Ex-council worker who learned sport in garden in Covid aims to be pick of the bunch in Vegas

A 70-YEAR-OLD knife and axe thrower is set to compete in the world championship after teaching himself the sport in his garden.

time to read

2 mins

February 17, 2026

Daily Record

Nouble's back to lift Livi again

LIVINGSTON have delved into the free transfer market again to bring back Joel Nouble.

time to read

1 min

February 17, 2026

Daily Record

Brit tourist missing in Spain fears

INVESTIGATORS have said they are “very worried” for a missing Brit tourist after he vanished five days ago while on holiday in the Costa del Sol.

time to read

1 min

February 17, 2026

Daily Record

Two water tragedies in joint probe

A JOINT probe into the deaths of a boy and a man who drowned five years apart during water activities will take place next month.

time to read

1 min

February 17, 2026

Daily Record

JUL: WE KNEW WE WERE S***

FROM BACK PAGE

time to read

2 mins

February 17, 2026

Daily Record

No10 is told: Don't publish Mandy emails

POLICE have warned the Government not to publish emails between Lord Mandelson and ex-No10 chief of staff Morgan McSweeney about the peer's ties to Jeffrey Epstein.

time to read

1 min

February 17, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size