Facebook Pixel WIMBLEDON'S WALK OF SHAME... | Daily Express - newspaper - Read this story on Magzter.com

Try GOLD - Free

WIMBLEDON'S WALK OF SHAME...

Daily Express

|

June 28, 2025

With the world's best-loved celebration of tennis starting on Monday, SPENCER VIGNES looks back on one of SW19's forgotten controversies... the first player to be disqualified from the tournament. And their identity might just surprise you!

T'S been an integral part of British summertime for as long as any of us can remember.

For two weeks a year, the country becomes captivated by the magic of Wimbledon - the sound of tennis balls on racquets, the glory of the Centre Court, umpires reminding the boisterous crowd "time, please" and, yes, those strawberries and cream.

The crowd's Great British hope is sure to be cheered to the rooftops, although more often than not, their run ends in traditional heartbreak. But with wildcards typically outperforming their odds on court and favourites wilting under the pressure, there's hardly ever a shortage of upsets.

Of course, there have also been moments during the tournament's 148-year existence when players have displayed their more ferocious side, and there are bound to be moments of high drama and possibly explosions of pent-up rage - this year.

Most surprisingly, one of the best-loved stars of recent times became the first player ever to be disqualified. And, no, it wasn't John McEnroe, Ilie Nastase or Nick Kyrgios - despite their occasional tantrums and meltdowns - or the occasionally volatile Serena Williams. Step forward Mr Whiter-Than-White Tim Henman! Incredible as it might sound, the first player ever to be disqualified from Wimbledon was Henman.

That's the very same Tim Henman whose clipped tones have for many years graced the BBC's television commentary from the Championships, and who now sits on the board of the All England Lawn Tennis Club, the organisation which runs the tournament.

His day of shame was Wednesday, June 28, 1995 - the place, Court 14.

In the first round of the men's doubles competition, Henman, aged 20 at the time and partnering fellow Brit Jeremy Bates, had been drawn against the American Jeff Tarango and Henrik Holm of Sweden.

MORE STORIES FROM Daily Express

Daily Express

Daily Express

Sir Keir's 17m who voted to get out of EU

TEN years ago then-Prime Minister David Cameron stood outside No10 and told the nation “the choice is in your hands”.

time to read

4 mins

February 21, 2026

Daily Express

Daily Express

£53m heist convict takes his battle for freedom to the UN

Cagefighter's 16 years in foreign prison over UK's biggest cash theft

time to read

4 mins

February 21, 2026

Daily Express

Daily Express

HILL WALKS IT!

Hendo's tears of joy after Southwell rout

time to read

1 min

February 21, 2026

Daily Express

Daily Express

Mum didn't deserve to die like this

A RAPPER'S arrogance led to the brutal death of a gran after she was mauled by his pack of XL bully dogs, her daughters have said.

time to read

1 mins

February 21, 2026

Daily Express

Daily Express

Row over 'racist' St George's Cross painted on pub

Patriotic landlord says he is an England sports fan and not anti-migrant’

time to read

2 mins

February 21, 2026

Daily Express

Hill's high hopes for Hull

HARVIE HILL says he looked at the squad Hull FC were putting together and immediately thought “I'll have a bit of that” after snubbing a chance to stay at Wigan.

time to read

1 min

February 21, 2026

Daily Express

ODDS AND NODS

William Hill spokesperson ARSENAL and Manchester City are as close as they've been for a while in points and odds after the Gunners' 2-2 draw with all-butrelegated Wolves.

time to read

1 min

February 21, 2026

Daily Express

Daily Express

Pep's dozen reasons to dismiss title talk

...AND HE CLAIMS IT'S ALL NEW TO CITY SQUAD

time to read

2 mins

February 21, 2026

Daily Express

Daily Express

Britain's paralysed by a fear of saying the wrong thing

NOTHING sums up the idiocy of the Left better than the claim that a Reform candidate was to blame for the Manchester Arena bombing in 2017.

time to read

3 mins

February 21, 2026

Daily Express

Daily Express

Britain's wheely got talent!

ACROBAT Paul Nunnari stuns Britain's Got Talent tonight, twirling himself skywards while still in his wheelchair.

time to read

1 min

February 21, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size