Try GOLD - Free
Repackaging occupation, denying freedom
Cape Argus
|October 07, 2025
SINCE October 2023, Israel’s assault on Gaza has claimed the lives of at least 66 055 Palestinians, leaving entire neighbourhoods in rubble and families erased from the civil registry. Amid this ongoing humanitarian catastrophe, US President Donald Trump has unveiled a 21-point plan that he claims will end the bloodshed. Yet a closer look reveals that the plan envisions Gaza's future shaped not by Palestinians, but by foreign powers with long histories of enabling Israel's occupation and undermining Palestinian rights.
DISPLACED Palestinians evacuating southbound from Gaza City. Trump's Gaza plan, framed as a pathway to stability, is instead a blueprint for ongoing control - a new chapter in the history of Gaza's subjugation, says the writer.
(AFP)
At the heart of the proposal is a blueprint drawn from former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, whose record in the Middle East has consistently favoured Western and Israeli interests over Palestinian freedom. The plan calls for the removal of Hamas and the deployment of a “temporary international stabilisation force” led by the US and regional allies. In theory, this force would oversee security and governance in Gaza. In practice, it strips Palestinians of any real control over their own territory, replacing local agency with external supervision.
According to The Times of Israel, the plan promises that “no one will be forced to leave Gaza” and that those who do leave will be permitted to return. Palestinians would supposedly be “encouraged” to remain and given the chance to build a “better future.” But these assurances ring hollow in light of Trump's own statements earlier this year. In February 2025, he openly called for the US to “take over” and “own” Gaza, suggesting that Palestinians could be displaced to allow for large-scale redevelopment.
This story is from the October 07, 2025 edition of Cape Argus.
Subscribe to Magzter GOLD to access thousands of curated premium stories, and 10,000+ magazines and newspapers.
Already a subscriber? Sign In
MORE STORIES FROM Cape Argus
Cape Argus
Victor could seize the league, says Vilakazi
FORMER Mamelodi Sundowns and Orlando Pirates midfielder Benedict Vilakazi believes the winner of tonight's Betway Premiership blockbuster between the Buccaneers and the Brazilians could carry the momentum all the way to lifting the league title in May.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
Forced entry: Know your rights during police raids
WHEN police break down doors during raids, the damage can go beyond shattered locks.
3 mins
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
Bad Bunny, Bafana Bafana and the universal beat
DURING my time covering the Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) in 2008 and 2015, the draw always seemed to send Bafana Bafana to the most rural of towns and cities.
3 mins
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
Cape's record employment numbers mask weak job market
WHILE the DA and the City have celebrated the latest Quarterly Labour Force Survey (QLFS) results which shows 93000 jobs were created in the province in the fourth quarter of last year and unemployment declined to 18.1%, opposition parties challenge it stating the broader labour market picture remains deeply concerning.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
Hunt targets home advantage for Stellenbosch
STELLENBOSCH FC will be hoping to turn the page on recent disappointment when they return to familiar surroundings to host Magesi FC at the Danie Craven Stadium this evening (7.30pm kickoff).
2 mins
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
UCT extends deadline as debt blocks 1400 students from registering
NEARLY 1 400 students at UCT remain unable to register due to outstanding debt, despite the university confirming that 2883 students have already ben-efitted from fee debt relief measures following recent protest action.
1 mins
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
Hands-on leadership needed to end decline in municipal services
PRESIDENT Cyril Ramaphosa's urgent deployment of Water and Sanitation Minister Pemmy Majodina and Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (Cogta) Minister Velenkosini Hlabisa to tackle Johannesburg’s worsening water crisis, prioritising action over attending the State of the Nation Address, was a necessary and welcome move.
1 min
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
TYGERBERG HOSPITAL REFUTES NEGLIGENCE CLAIM
Parents consider legal action over newborn
2 mins
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
India discussing restrictions with social media platforms
INDIA is discussing age-based restrictions with social media companies, IT minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said yesterday, following moves by Australia and other countries to ban young teens from popular platforms.
1 mins
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
PA is failing the very communities it claims to champion
THERE is a growing contradiction that can not be ignored.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
