Versuchen GOLD - Frei

Internet safety campaign accused of censoring speeches by teenagers

The Guardian

|

February 09, 2026

An internet safety campaign backed by US tech companies has been accused of censoring two teenagers they invited to speak about the biggest issues facing children online.

- Robert Booth UK technology editor

Internet safety campaign accused of censoring speeches by teenagers

Childnet, funded in part by Meta, has denied making edits to speeches by teenagers to keep its US tech backers happy

(DANIEL DE LA HOZ GETTY IMAGES)

Childnet, a UK charity part-funded by companies including Snap, Roblox and Meta, edited out warnings from Lewis Swire and Saamya Ghai that social media addiction was an "imminent threat to our future" and obsessive scrolling was making people "sick", according to a record of edits seen by the Guardian.

Swire, then 17, from Edinburgh, and Ghai, then 14, from Buckinghamshire, had been asked to speak at an event to mark Safer Internet Day in 2024 in London in front of representatives from government, charities and tech companies.

WEITERE GESCHICHTEN VON The Guardian

The Guardian

Chinese tourists shun Japan as rift over Taiwan deepens

Chinese tourists are continuing to shun Japan in large numbers, with the country falling out of the top 10 destinations for those celebrating the lunar new year with a trip abroad.

time to read

1 mins

February 18, 2026

The Guardian

The Guardian

Farage insists Reform is not one-man band but warns top team against disloyalty

Nigel Farage has unveiled the first part of Reform UK's frontbench team, saying it shows that the party is no longer reliant entirely on him - while also warning that he will not tolerate any dissent from his colleagues.

time to read

3 mins

February 18, 2026

The Guardian

The Guardian

'The situation has become worse': Israeli settlers raid home of Oscar winner again

The co-director of the Oscar-winning No Other Land has said his home and family have come under renewed attack almost a year after his documentary on Israeli settler and army violence in the West Bank won the Academy Award.

time to read

2 mins

February 18, 2026

The Guardian

Kenyan authorities broke into activist's phone, report claims

When Boniface Mwangi, the prominent Kenyan pro-democracy activist who plans to run for president in 2027, had his phones returned to him by Kenyan authorities after his controversial arrest last July, he noticed a problem: one of the phones was no longer password protected and could be opened without one.

time to read

2 mins

February 18, 2026

The Guardian

Woods weighs up offer to captain USA at Ryder Cup

Tiger Woods has confirmed he has been asked to captain the USA team at the Ryder Cup next year.

time to read

2 mins

February 18, 2026

The Guardian

The Guardian

Paramount given a week to submit Warner Bros offer

Warner Bros Discovery has reopened talks with Paramount Skydance, giving the company seven days to table its final offer and top an existing agreement with Netflix.

time to read

2 mins

February 18, 2026

The Guardian

The Guardian

Iran hails 'good progress' in US talks amid memorials for protest victims

Iran has described the latest round of indirect talks with the US as “more constructive” than the previous set, and said agreement had been reached on “general guiding principles” that could lead to a further meeting to discuss its nuclear programme.

time to read

3 mins

February 18, 2026

The Guardian

The Guardian

‘It gets a little bit soul crushing’ Young people face bleak outlook as youth unemployment rises

On any given day, Poppy Blackman is engaged in the “soul-crushing” process of applying for a new job, and rarely ever hearing anything back.

time to read

5 mins

February 18, 2026

The Guardian

The Guardian

EU launches inquiry into Shein over sales of childlike sex dolls

The EU is to open a formal investigation into the Chinese retailer Shein over multiple suspected breaches of European laws including the sale of childlike sex dolls.

time to read

2 mins

February 18, 2026

The Guardian

The Guardian

Pereira has no fears about Marinakis ‘fire’ as paths cross again at Forest

As someone taking his 19th coaching position, Vitor Pereira, Nottingham Forest’s fourth manager of the season, is not a believer in job security.

time to read

1 mins

February 18, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size