The Light House- All Issues
LIGHTHOUSE – WEEKLY E-BULLETTIN from The Rotary Club of Madras, It was inaugurated on 10th May 1929 and Chartered on 19th July 1929, making it the first Rotary Club in South India & erstwhile Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). Rotary Club of Madras is the third oldest Club in India, after Calcutta and Bombay. Rtn. James Wheeler Davidson, from Calgary, Canada, is credited with the formation of Rotary Club of Madras, while Rtn. C.G. Armstrong, Chairman, Madras Port Trust, was the first President. Rtn. Morton Chance, of the Hotel Chain, was the first Secretary. Rtn. Rajah Sir M.A. Muthiah and Rtn. Mohd. Usman were the first Indian Members of the Rotary Club of Madras. Over the years, leading luminaries from various businesses, professions & vocations have been Members of the Rotary Club of Madras. Guided by the theme, “Service above Self”, the Club is credited with pioneering work in the area of eradicating Red Measels and with the Pulse Polio Immunisation Programme, adopted by Rotary International.