Try GOLD - Free
'These are the kind of losses that sting a little bit': Boulter is aiming to atone for last year's SW19 exit
Leicester Mercury
|June 20, 2025
THEY contested one of the most dramatic clashes at Wimbledon last summer.
Now, one year on, Katie Boulter and Harriet Dart are preparing to return to the scene of their emotional battle of the Brits thriller on hallowed home SW19 turf, writes Will Jennings, of Sportsbeat.
Last year, the duo slugged it out in a heart-thumping second-round duel as Dart, ranked more than 70 places below then British No.1 Boulter, miraculously turned the tables to edge out her nemesis in a tense 10-8 tie-break.
Dart, 28, trailed 6-2 in that deciding format and after visibly breaking down in tears, launched an improbable late fightback to reel off eight of the next 10 points and somehow seal a 4-6 6-1 7-6 (8) victory.
"I wear my emotions on my sleeve,’ said Dart after the nerve-jangling encounter, which propelled her into the third round of a Grand Slam for just the second time in her career.
“You see everything how I'm thinking unfortunately - I was so happy to be able to get through.”
For Boulter, of Woodhouse Eaves, it was an inexplicable capitulation she hopes can intensify her hunger for success this year.
“These are the kind of losses that sting a little bit, they do,” she said.
“I’m going to come back stronger and hopefully be winning a lot more matches here.”
Emma Raducanu, who blazed a trail by memorably grabbing Grand Slam glory at the US Open four years ago, may be the most recognisable British name in this year’s women’s draw but it’s Boulter and Dart - separated in age by the space of just four days - who arrive as the two most experienced homegrown campaigners.
While Boulter is ranked marginally lower than she was heading into Wimbledon this time last year - the current world No.38 - she has enjoyed a breakthrough year on the circuit that culminated in a maiden clay court title in Paris last month.
This story is from the June 20, 2025 edition of Leicester Mercury.
Subscribe to Magzter GOLD to access thousands of curated premium stories, and 10,000+ magazines and newspapers.
Already a subscriber? Sign In
MORE STORIES FROM Leicester Mercury
Leicester Mercury
Bid to trace men after club attack
THREE men are being sought by police after a teenager was stabbed at a nightclub.
1 min
May 19, 2026
Leicester Mercury
Vardy's on the brink as Iheanacho celebrates Celtic's 'crazy' triumph
MIXED FORTUNES FOR THE FORMER CITY STRIKERS OVER WEEKEND
2 mins
May 19, 2026
Leicester Mercury
Family duo in bid to restore pride to park
FUND-RAISING APPEAL FOR PLAY AREA IMPROVEMENTS
2 mins
May 19, 2026
Leicester Mercury
Railway given £250k boost
VOLUNTEERING with Great Central Railway has been given a £250,000 boost from The National Lottery Heritage Fund.
1 min
May 19, 2026
Leicester Mercury
Why Silko Thomas could join a mass exodus from King Power
THE first EFL fixture of the next league season kicks off just three months from now on Friday, August 14.
3 mins
May 19, 2026
Leicester Mercury
Gary backs arts centre chair Misan
GARY Lineker is among a number of high-profile stars who have signed a letter in support of the Southbank Centre's chairman of governors, who is facing calls to step down.
1 min
May 19, 2026
Leicester Mercury
Fresh calls for banking hub as review backed
AN MP has welcomed the government's independent review into access to face-to-face banking services, describing it as essential for communities such as Coalville.
1 mins
May 19, 2026
Leicester Mercury
All fired up to create ‘new tradition for city’
FESTIVAL TO TAKE FLIGHT NEXT MONTH
1 mins
May 19, 2026
Leicester Mercury
Quieter shopping in stores
PRIMARK has rolled out a sensory-friendly shopping hour in all stores in a bid to create a more accessible experience for customers.
1 min
May 19, 2026
Leicester Mercury
Boss diverted £200k from failing company
MONEY MOVED TO NEW BUSINESS HIT CREDITORS
1 mins
May 19, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size

