Prøve GULL - Gratis

Archival defends absence

The Freeman

|

June 27, 2025

DURING ZONING ORDINANCE VOTING

Incoming Cebu City Mayor Nestor Archival has defended his absence during the final deliberation of the “Revised Comprehensive Cebu City Zoning Ordinance of 2025,” saying he objected to the measure being discussed behind closed doors.

Archival, who is completing his term as a city councilor and currently serves as Minority Floor Leader, explained that voicing his objection on the floor would have been futile, as he expected to be outvoted.

His absence during Wednesday’s session drew criticism from the Urban Poor Alliance and several Carbon Market vendors. Archival was present earlier that day, delivering a privilege speech and attending an awarding ceremony for outgoing councilors. However, he was no longer in the session hall when the zoning ordinance—the last item on the agenda—was tackled.

Responding to the backlash, Archival denied betraying public trust and instead underscored the importance of integrating the Comprehensive Land Use Plan (CLUP) into the city's existing ordinance.

He pointed out that Cebu City has gone 29 years without a CLUP, and that its absence has raised questions from the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG).

Archival said he had asked Councilor Jocelyn Pesquera, the ordinance’s proponent, to defer the deliberation. However, Pesquera stood by the urgency of the measure, saying it was a critical piece of legislation.

“Nya karon, if mu-object ko, upat raman mi, so the thing that we are doing is para nako di maayo,” said Archival.

He added that a deferment would have forced the new administration to restart the entire documentation process from scratch.

FLERE HISTORIER FRA The Freeman

The Freeman

14 killed in Pakistan attacks

Two bomb attacks and a gunfight between police and militants in northwest Pakistan killed at least 11 security personnel and three civilians, including a child, a security official said.

time to read

1 mins

February 18, 2026

The Freeman

Customs file criminal charges against 40 unlawful importers

A total of 40 importers and licensed customs brokers are now facing criminal charges filed by the Bureau of Customs (BOC) before the Department of Justice (DOJ) as part of its intensified campaign against smuggling.

time to read

1 mins

February 18, 2026

The Freeman

The Freeman

13 nabbed for illegal sale, distribution of crude oil

Thirteen individuals were arrested on Tuesday, February 17, for alleged illegal sale and distribution of petroleum products, locally known as “crudo,” at Ouano Wharf in Barangay Looc, Mandaue City.

time to read

1 mins

February 18, 2026

The Freeman

GAMOT program launched in CV

PhilHealth has officially launched the Guaranteed and Accessible Medications for Outpatient Treatment (GAMOT) benefit in Central Visayas yesterday to improve access to essential medicines for its members.

time to read

3 mins

February 18, 2026

The Freeman

Road safety body eyed after fatal crashes

The group will also craft recommendations to ensure the proper and effective implementation of road safety measures.

time to read

2 mins

February 18, 2026

The Freeman

Moody's says Phl growth on the right track

The Philippines is on the right track, according to Moody's latest assessment.

time to read

1 min

February 18, 2026

The Freeman

Face of Cebu returns after five years

With Miss Universe Philippines Cebu not pushing through with a pageant this year, it prompted founder and director Danny Booc to finally revive Face of Cebu for its third edition, with its finals on April 11 at the Grand Pacific Ballroom of Waterfront Cebu City Hotel and Casino.

time to read

3 mins

February 18, 2026

The Freeman

New partnership to add 90,000 condo units to rental platform

Cebu-based Rent.ph has entered into a partnership with SMDC Good Stays to market about 90,000 condominium units that are ready for occupancy, creating one of the largest centralized rental inventories in the Philippines.

time to read

2 mins

February 18, 2026

The Freeman

Philippines takes exception to China embassy warning

The Department of Foreign Affairs has called out the Chinese Embassy after its implied threat that any more affronts to their two countries’ diplomatic relations would make them withhold economic cooperation and trigger the loss of “millions of jobs” in the country.

time to read

1 mins

February 18, 2026

The Freeman

Donald Trump to decide 'soon' on sending weapons to Taiwan

US President Donald Trump said Monday he would decide soon on whether to send more weapons to Taiwan, after Chinese President Xi Jinping warned him not to do so.

time to read

1 mins

February 18, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size