Essayer OR - Gratuit
Archival defends absence
The Freeman
|June 27, 2025
DURING ZONING ORDINANCE VOTING
-
Incoming Cebu City Mayor Nestor Archival has defended his absence during the final deliberation of the “Revised Comprehensive Cebu City Zoning Ordinance of 2025,” saying he objected to the measure being discussed behind closed doors.
Archival, who is completing his term as a city councilor and currently serves as Minority Floor Leader, explained that voicing his objection on the floor would have been futile, as he expected to be outvoted.
His absence during Wednesday’s session drew criticism from the Urban Poor Alliance and several Carbon Market vendors. Archival was present earlier that day, delivering a privilege speech and attending an awarding ceremony for outgoing councilors. However, he was no longer in the session hall when the zoning ordinance—the last item on the agenda—was tackled.
Responding to the backlash, Archival denied betraying public trust and instead underscored the importance of integrating the Comprehensive Land Use Plan (CLUP) into the city's existing ordinance.
He pointed out that Cebu City has gone 29 years without a CLUP, and that its absence has raised questions from the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG).
Archival said he had asked Councilor Jocelyn Pesquera, the ordinance’s proponent, to defer the deliberation. However, Pesquera stood by the urgency of the measure, saying it was a critical piece of legislation.
“Nya karon, if mu-object ko, upat raman mi, so the thing that we are doing is para nako di maayo,” said Archival.
He added that a deferment would have forced the new administration to restart the entire documentation process from scratch.
Cette histoire est tirée de l'édition June 27, 2025 de The Freeman.
Abonnez-vous à Magzter GOLD pour accéder à des milliers d'histoires premium sélectionnées et à plus de 9 000 magazines et journaux.
Déjà abonné ? Se connecter
PLUS D'HISTOIRES DE The Freeman
The Freeman
Pam: Kill plot may be linked to intensified drive against crimes
Cebu Governor Pamela Baricuatro believes that the reported threat to her life may be linked to her administration's intensified campaign against criminality in the province.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
DSWD launches awareness week against sexual abuse
To address growing concerns over online sexual abuse and exploitation of children (OSAEC) and other forms of child sexual abuse in the country, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD)-7 launched a weeklong campaign to raise awareness.
1 min
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
West Phl Sea official maps since 2012
The government's mapping agency pushed back on Wednesday, February 18, against claims that the West Philippine Sea lacks coordinates and does not exist on Philippine maps.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
DBP optimistic on growth despite profit drop
The Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP) remains optimistic on its prospects for this year despite posting a lower net income in 2025 due to higher provisioning to preserve its asset quality following delays in contractors' loan repayments amid a corruption scandal linked to government projects.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
Senior Israeli minister pushes for 'emigration' of Palestinian areas
A senior Israeli far-right minister vowed to encourage “emigration” from the Palestinian territories, despite mounting criticism of recent measures tightening Israel’s control over the occupied West Bank.
1 mins
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
NBI-7 probing into hit-and-run incident
“The NBI can always investigate on motu propio (on his own impulse), especially for crimes like this (that) can be considered high-profile cases,” she explained.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
Zelensky says European role at Geneva talks vital
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Wednesday Europe’s participation at talks in Geneva with US and Russian delegations was vital for any agreements reached on halting the war to hold.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
Archival halts road widening in Buhisan
Cebu City Mayor Nestor Archival is set to temporary stop the road widening and excavation works in Barangay Buhisan until all necessary permits are renewed and safety measures are secured.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
2026 Ash Wednesday and Lent
It is a wake-up call.
2 mins
February 19, 2026
The Freeman
Making Waves at Art Fair PH 2026
Since its formation in 2013, Cebu’s Qube Gallery has done well in showcasing the creative inflections of Cebu’s artists.
1 mins
February 19, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
