Gå ubegrenset med Magzter GOLD

Gå ubegrenset med Magzter GOLD

Få ubegrenset tilgang til over 9000 magasiner, aviser og premiumhistorier for bare

$149.99
 
$74.99/År

Prøve GULL - Gratis

Judge blocks juvenile halls takeover bid

Los Angeles Times

|

October 11, 2025

Court says state did not meet criteria to take control of the L.A. County facilities.

- JAMES QUEALLY

Judge blocks juvenile halls takeover bid

STATE Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta was stopped from taking over juvenile halls.

A judge temporarily blocked California Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta’s attempt to take over Los Angeles County’s beleaguered juvenile halls on Friday, finding that despite evidence of a “systemic failure” to improve poor conditions, Bonta had not met the legal grounds necessary to strip away local control.

After years of scandals — including frequent drug overdoses and incidents of staff violence against youths — Bonta filed a motion in July to place the county's juvenile halls in “receivership,” meaning a court-appointed monitor would manage the facilities, set their budgets and oversee the hiring and firing of staff. An ongoing staffing crisis previously led a state oversight body to deem two of L.A. County’s halls unfit to house children.

L.A. County entered into a settlement with the California Department of Justice in 2021 to mandate improvements, but oversight bodies and a Times investigation earlier this year found the Probation Department was falling far short of fixing many issues, as required by the agreement.

On Friday, Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Peter A. Hernandez chastised Bonta for failing to clearly lay out tasks for the Probation Department to abide by in the 2021 settlement. Hernandez said the attorney general's office's filings failed to show that a state takeover would lead to "a transformation of the juvenile halls." The steps the Probation Department needs to take to meet the terms of the settlement have been articulated in court filings and reports published by the L.A.

County Office of the Inspector General for several years.

Hernandez was assigned to oversee the settlement only in recent months and spent much of Friday's hearing complaining about a lack of "clarity" in the case.

FLERE HISTORIER FRA Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Times

HOW THE SON OF THE KING OF SOUL FOOD FORGED A NEW PATH

GREG DULAN’S FIGHT TO SAVE BLACK FOOD CULTURE IN L.A.

time to read

8 mins

November 30, 2025

Los Angeles Times

L.A. Auto Show highlights new EVs in a shifting environment

As federal rebates end, electric vehicles again take center stage at the annual event.

time to read

3 mins

November 30, 2025

Los Angeles Times

A True Reset on the 'Nature Island'

Dominica is the best-kept secret of the Caribbean and is a true sanctuary

time to read

1 mins

November 30, 2025

Los Angeles Times

Maximize Your Journey to Down Under

Utilizing Qantas Explorer can get you maximum benefits for less when you visit Australia

time to read

3 mins

November 30, 2025

Los Angeles Times

Scandal fallback mode: Survival, not surrender

Actions that once seemed untoward or shocking are no longer political deal-breakers.

time to read

4 mins

November 30, 2025

Los Angeles Times

An architectural mystery in San Diego

WHO REALLY DESIGNED THE TIMKEN MUSEUM OF ART IN BALBOA PARK? WHY TWO LOCAL ARCHITECTURE BUFFS THINK A PAIR OF LEGENDS HAD A HAND IN ITS CREATION.

time to read

6 mins

November 30, 2025

Los Angeles Times

Nine essential plays from Stoppard

Tom Stoppard, frequently hailed as the greatest British playwright of this generation, had both a remarkable life and a remarkable career.

time to read

5 mins

November 30, 2025

Los Angeles Times

A giant of modern theater and Oscar-winning screenwriter

British playwright Tom Stoppard, a giant of modern theater and Oscar-winning screenwriter known for playful, probing works of erudition and wit, has died. He was 88.

time to read

5 mins

November 30, 2025

Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Times

Texas spoils No. 3 Texas A&M's bid at perfect season

Arch Manning threw a touchdown pass and ran for the clinching score late in the fourth quarter, and No. 16 Texas beat No. 3 Texas A&M 27-17 on Friday night to spoil the Aggies’ undefeated season and knock them out of the Southeastern Conference championship game.

time to read

3 mins

November 30, 2025

Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Times

With Prop. 50, Il hopefuls vie to oust Issa

San Diego could lose its only Republican member of Congress in the 2026 midterms.

time to read

5 mins

November 30, 2025

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size