Passez à l'illimité avec Magzter GOLD

Passez à l'illimité avec Magzter GOLD

Obtenez un accès illimité à plus de 9 000 magazines, journaux et articles Premium pour seulement

$149.99
 
$74.99/Année

Essayer OR - Gratuit

Judge blocks juvenile halls takeover bid

Los Angeles Times

|

October 11, 2025

Court says state did not meet criteria to take control of the L.A. County facilities.

- JAMES QUEALLY

Judge blocks juvenile halls takeover bid

STATE Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta was stopped from taking over juvenile halls.

A judge temporarily blocked California Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta’s attempt to take over Los Angeles County’s beleaguered juvenile halls on Friday, finding that despite evidence of a “systemic failure” to improve poor conditions, Bonta had not met the legal grounds necessary to strip away local control.

After years of scandals — including frequent drug overdoses and incidents of staff violence against youths — Bonta filed a motion in July to place the county's juvenile halls in “receivership,” meaning a court-appointed monitor would manage the facilities, set their budgets and oversee the hiring and firing of staff. An ongoing staffing crisis previously led a state oversight body to deem two of L.A. County’s halls unfit to house children.

L.A. County entered into a settlement with the California Department of Justice in 2021 to mandate improvements, but oversight bodies and a Times investigation earlier this year found the Probation Department was falling far short of fixing many issues, as required by the agreement.

On Friday, Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Peter A. Hernandez chastised Bonta for failing to clearly lay out tasks for the Probation Department to abide by in the 2021 settlement. Hernandez said the attorney general's office's filings failed to show that a state takeover would lead to "a transformation of the juvenile halls." The steps the Probation Department needs to take to meet the terms of the settlement have been articulated in court filings and reports published by the L.A.

County Office of the Inspector General for several years.

Hernandez was assigned to oversee the settlement only in recent months and spent much of Friday's hearing complaining about a lack of "clarity" in the case.

PLUS D'HISTOIRES DE Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Times

Murder charge added in National Guard attack

Suspect faces new count after one of the two soldiers shot in Washington dies.

time to read

4 mins

November 29, 2025

Los Angeles Times

Student is deported after trying to fly home for holiday

A college freshman trying to fly from Boston to Texas to surprise her family for Thanksgiving was instead deported to Honduras in violation of a court order, according to her attorney.

time to read

1 min

November 29, 2025

Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Times

Bonta sues feds to stop homeless housing slashes

California Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta sued the Trump administration Tuesday seeking to stop a federal policy change that advocates say could force 170,000 formerly homeless Americans back on the streets or into shelters.

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Times

He's back, but Ducks go on attack

Perry gives Kings lift at 40 while his first-place former team stages big rally for crosstown win

time to read

4 mins

November 29, 2025

Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Times

Morgan Stanley warns Oracle's credit protection is nearing its high

A gauge of risk on Oracle Corp.'s debt reached a three-year high in November, and things are only going to get worse in 2026 unless the database giant is able to assuage investor anxiety about a massive artificial intelligence spending spree, according to Morgan Stanley.

time to read

3 mins

November 29, 2025

Los Angeles Times

Buckeyes trying to buck upset trend in rivalry

\"The Game\" has had many upsets, including last year when Michigan stunned Ohio State as nearly a 20-point underdog.

time to read

3 mins

November 29, 2025

Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Times

Florida’s coaching search pivots from Kiffin to Sumrall

Florida is moving on from Lane Kiffin and targeting Tulane’s Jon Sumrall as its next coach, a person familiar with the search told the Associated Press.

time to read

3 mins

November 29, 2025

Los Angeles Times

Lakers deem NBA Cup court too slippery for player safety

The Lakers did not use their special NBA Cup court during a group stage game Friday against the Dallas Mavericks after the team raised concerns that it was too slippery.

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

Los Angeles Times

Russia outlaws Human Rights Watch as 'undesirable' group

Russian authorities Friday outlawed Human Rights Watch as an “undesirable organization,” a label that under a 2015 law makes involvement with such organizations a criminal offense.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Times

Student rolls across nation are plunging amid ICE raids

School districts have tens of thousands fewer pupils, including foreign newcomers.

time to read

5 mins

November 29, 2025

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size