Intentar ORO - Gratis
HOW ERIK MATTI'S 'THE SQUATTER' WON AT EUROPE'S 'BIGGEST' TV SERIES FESTIVAL
The Philippine Star
|April 13, 2024
DIRECTOR ERIK MATTI and producer Dondon Monteverde recently revealed how their immigrant crime story “The Squatter” became a top winner at the recent international TV festival, Series Mania, in France.
Now on its 15th year this 2024, Series Mania is the biggest dedicated TV series festival in Europe, as per Variety. “The Squatter” — the only Asian among the bunch of finalists — won alongside “George Blake” from Scotland’s Oscar winner Kevin Macdonald and “Sleeping Swans” from Austria’s Barbra Albert under Series makers, a “novel and high powered mentoring program” of Series Mania for feature filmmakers making the leap to TV. “The Squatter” secured €50,000 or around P3 million as prize, and is set to collaborate closely with Beta Films to develop a pilot script, among others.
Variety described Erik’s latest project as an east-meets-west eight-part crime series. It revolves around a Filipino overseas worker and a Ukrainian detective “unraveling a mystery that begins with a dead body in a small town and spans halfway across the globe.”
During a recent interview with direk Erik and Dondon, also the duo behind Reality MM Studios, they shared how they made it to Series Mania’s Seriesmakers.
Erik said it was invitational. Meaning, only filmmakers who had already participated in prestigious international festivals were enlisted to join.
“Of course, we knew about Series Mania, which is an international festival in Lille, France
Esta historia es de la edición April 13, 2024 de The Philippine Star.
Suscríbete a Magzter GOLD para acceder a miles de historias premium seleccionadas y a más de 9000 revistas y periódicos.
¿Ya eres suscriptor? Iniciar sesión
MÁS HISTORIAS DE The Philippine Star
The Philippine Star
Pinoys help keep Greenland in business
Marinel Garciano dislikes winter, and that’s tough when it lasts nine months in Ilulissat, Greenland. But she has no regrets about leaving the Philippines to give her children opportunities.
2 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
NBI chief says more ICC arrest warrants coming
Former president Rodrigo Duterte may soon have company in The Hague, as the International Criminal Court (ICC) is set to issue more warrants against his co-perpetrators in the crimes against humanity charges, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) said.
2 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
ALEX GONZAGA’S PREGNANCY IS ‘A MIRACLE AND ANSWERED PRAYER,’ SAYS SISTER TONI
ALEX GONZAGA’S PREGNANCY is more than happy family news for older sister Toni Gonzaga. It’s an answered prayer their family had long been waiting for.
5 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
Iran weighs peace proposal
Accuses US of ‘excessive demands’ - Tehran accused the United States of “excessive demands,” Iranian media said yesterday, as US media reports raised the prospect that Washington was mulling new strikes and leaders of the Islamic republic considered the latest peace proposal.
1 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
ICC: Duterte to stay detained
Former president Rodrigo Duterte will remain in detention in The Hague ahead of his trial for crimes against humanity before the International Criminal Court (ICC), judges ruled on Friday.
1 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
‘Bato presumed armed, dangerous’
As a fugitive from justice, Sen. Ronald Dela Rosa is presumed to be “armed and dangerous” and should be dealt “with caution,” National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) director Melvin Matibag said.
2 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
'SB-11' pushes for Gatchalian as next Senate president
The minority senators from the so-called \"Solid Bloc\" have declared their support for Sen. Sherwin Gatchalian as their candidate for Senate president following the chaos in the chamber since Alan Peter Cayetano took over the leadership.
2 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
Phl facing 'info war' over disputed seas
As the country prepares to mark in July the 10th anniversary of the landmark 2016 arbitral ruling on its maritime claim, senior military officials and security experts have warned of escalating “political and informational war” marked by cyberattacks, disinformation and foreign influence operations as China continues its illegal, coercive, aggressive and deceptive (ICAD) behavior in the West Philippine Sea.
2 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
E-wallet boom boosts financial inclusion in first quarter
Filipino adults with formal financial accounts rose to 58 percent in the first quarter, driven by the rapid adoption of e-wallets, according to a survey commissioned by the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP).
1 mins
May 24, 2026
The Philippine Star
Pia holds Kumustahan on FB Live
After drawing criticism and becoming the subject of online memes over her “Wala man lang nangumusta sa amin” statement, Sen. Pia Cayetano went live on Facebook Friday night to defend her emotions and encourage people to reach out to others.
1 mins
May 24, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size

