Intentar ORO - Gratis
Garcia blames VM
The Freeman
|April 25, 2025
Cebu City Mayor Raymond Alvin Garcia has welcomed the Department of Budget and Management's (DBM) move to address inconsistencies in the city's P14.6-billion 2025 annual budget-but questioned the rushed approval made by Vice Mayor Donaldo Hontiveros, who was the acting mayor, which he said may have compromised a thorough review.
In an interview yesterday, April 24, 2025, Garcia said it had already come to his attention that DBM-7 had reviewed the approved P14.6-billion 2025 annual budget, flagging and declaring some items inoperative.
As indicated in the review, the DBM acknowledged compliance with the laws cited in the budget ordinances. However, they identified appropriations totaling P79,705,000 that would be deemed inoperative. These were found to be inconsistent with the corresponding Annual Investment Plan (AIP) of the city government.
“That is something that I will have to look into and I will remedy, myself, kay the backstops with the mayor but of course you have to know, and we have to realize that the budget for 2025 was signed by the Acting Mayor,” said Garcia.
It may be recalled that during the last weeks of December 2024, Garcia went on leave, placing Hontiveros in the role of acting mayor, including during the approval of the annual budget.
Garcia had earlier questioned this, seeking clarity on whether there was proper transmission of the trimmed annual budget ordinance—especially since Hontiveros signed it on a non-working day.
Garcia further recalled that since the budget ordinance was submitted to Hontiveros, it raised concerns about whether the latter had enough time to review and discuss it “thoroughly.”
“Wa nila matan-aw, nya iya nalang gipirma on a Saturday,” he said.
Esta historia es de la edición April 25, 2025 de The Freeman.
Suscríbete a Magzter GOLD para acceder a miles de historias premium seleccionadas y a más de 9000 revistas y periódicos.
¿Ya eres suscriptor? Iniciar sesión
MÁS HISTORIAS DE The Freeman
The Freeman
THE CHRISTMAS TREE OF HOPE
It was already the holiday season, but the air in Barangay San Isidro didn't smell of roasted ham or sweet bibingka. Instead, it smelled of mud, damp clothes, and the faint scent of loss. Typhoon Tino had swept through the town just weeks before, leaving behind broken homes and shattered memories. Families now lived under rows of tents lined along the barangay road, just by the river.
2 mins
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
Gilas obliterates Guam in opener of World Cup qualifiers
Gilas Pilipinas blew past debuting Guam, 87-46, for a rousing start in its FIBA World Cup Asian qualifiers campaign last Friday night.
1 mins
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
NEVER HURT YOUR MOTHER
I came by a very simple but profound post one evening while I was scrolling on Facebook: \"Never hurt your mother.
2 mins
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
Moldova closes airspace after fresh drone breach
Moldova, which borders Ukraine, closed its airspace for about an hour overnight after a new drone incursion, its defense ministry said Saturday.
1 min
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
Cebu Province recognized for info initiatives
In its commitment to transparency and public access to information, the Cebu Provincial Government has been honored at the 2025 Freedom of Information (FOI) Awards for being among the newly-recognized local government units (LGUs).
2 mins
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
Lancers brighten up Top 2 bid
The three-time defending champions University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers pulled a repeat 81-68 performance over the University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJ-R) Jaguars to bolster their Top 2 campaign in the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation, Inc. (CESAFI) Season 25 basketball tournament on Friday night, November 28, at the Cebu Coliseum.
1 mins
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
Ukraine Embassy slams Russia's claim of Filipino recruitment for war
The Ukraine Embassy in Manila categorically denied Russia's allegation that Filipinos are being recruited to fight alongside Ukrainian troops, calling the accusation a \"baseless fabrication\" and part of Moscow's broader disinformation efforts in Southeast Asia.
2 mins
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
Coco, Jake share action scene tips to Roja stars
Donny Pangilinan and Kyle Echarri are painting the country red as their new Kapamilya action-drama series, \"Roja,\" claimed the number one spot on Netflix Philippines' Top TV Shows after its November 21 premiere.
1 mins
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
Voting for PBA Season 50 All-Star begins Dec. 5
Voting for the PBA Season 50 All-Star game begins when action in the Philippine Cup resumes on December 5.
1 min
November 30, 2025
The Freeman
'The Drift' shows Cebuano horror cinema can have global appeal
After six months of production earlier this year, the Cebuano horror film \"The Drift,\" produced by Dark Horse Film Productions and Nathiña Film Productions, premiered November 16 at SM Seaside Cinema, where the Centerstage theater was met with shrieks and applause over the film's intense scenes.
3 mins
November 30, 2025
Listen
Translate
Change font size

