Intentar ORO - Gratis
Forced entry: Know your rights during police raids
Cape Argus
|February 18, 2026
WHEN police break down doors during raids, the damage can go beyond shattered locks.
Recent allegations in the Western Cape have raised questions about what the law actually allows when officers force entry.In recent months, several incidents where forced entries left residents with extensive property damage and unanswered questions.
In one case, a Hanover Park resident claimed that Anti-Gang Unit (AGU) officers trashed her home during a raid, leaving her with broken doors and ransacked belongings.
Another incident saw a Kensington woman accuse AGU members of trashing their home and torturing her boyfriend and his friends during an operation, allegations that are now part of an ongoing investigation.
While police raids are often justified as necessary tools in the fight against gang violence and serious crime, the Constitution protects the privacy and property of residents. That raises an important question: what does the law allow when police force entry into a home?
DA MP Nicholas Gotsell, who previously practised as an attorney, said the general rule under the Criminal Procedure Act is that police must obtain a warrant before entering and searching a home, but there are exceptions.
Gotsell said: “Under the Criminal Procedure Act, police must usually obtain a warrant before entering and searching a home. However, there are exceptions. Police may enter without a warrant if the person in control of the property consents, or if there is urgency and the delay in obtaining a warrant would defeat the object of the search.”
Esta historia es de la edición February 18, 2026 de Cape Argus.
Suscríbete a Magzter GOLD para acceder a miles de historias premium seleccionadas y a más de 9000 revistas y periódicos.
¿Ya eres suscriptor? Iniciar sesión
MÁS HISTORIAS DE Cape Argus
Cape Argus
Victor could seize the league, says Vilakazi
FORMER Mamelodi Sundowns and Orlando Pirates midfielder Benedict Vilakazi believes the winner of tonight's Betway Premiership blockbuster between the Buccaneers and the Brazilians could carry the momentum all the way to lifting the league title in May.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
Forced entry: Know your rights during police raids
WHEN police break down doors during raids, the damage can go beyond shattered locks.
3 mins
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
Bad Bunny, Bafana Bafana and the universal beat
DURING my time covering the Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) in 2008 and 2015, the draw always seemed to send Bafana Bafana to the most rural of towns and cities.
3 mins
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
Cape's record employment numbers mask weak job market
WHILE the DA and the City have celebrated the latest Quarterly Labour Force Survey (QLFS) results which shows 93000 jobs were created in the province in the fourth quarter of last year and unemployment declined to 18.1%, opposition parties challenge it stating the broader labour market picture remains deeply concerning.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
Hunt targets home advantage for Stellenbosch
STELLENBOSCH FC will be hoping to turn the page on recent disappointment when they return to familiar surroundings to host Magesi FC at the Danie Craven Stadium this evening (7.30pm kickoff).
2 mins
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
UCT extends deadline as debt blocks 1400 students from registering
NEARLY 1 400 students at UCT remain unable to register due to outstanding debt, despite the university confirming that 2883 students have already ben-efitted from fee debt relief measures following recent protest action.
1 mins
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
Hands-on leadership needed to end decline in municipal services
PRESIDENT Cyril Ramaphosa's urgent deployment of Water and Sanitation Minister Pemmy Majodina and Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (Cogta) Minister Velenkosini Hlabisa to tackle Johannesburg’s worsening water crisis, prioritising action over attending the State of the Nation Address, was a necessary and welcome move.
1 min
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
TYGERBERG HOSPITAL REFUTES NEGLIGENCE CLAIM
Parents consider legal action over newborn
2 mins
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
India discussing restrictions with social media platforms
INDIA is discussing age-based restrictions with social media companies, IT minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said yesterday, following moves by Australia and other countries to ban young teens from popular platforms.
1 mins
February 18, 2026
Cape Argus
PA is failing the very communities it claims to champion
THERE is a growing contradiction that can not be ignored.
2 mins
February 18, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
