UNDERSTANDING AND OVERCOMING THE EFFECTS OF MOLD TOXICITY AND BIOTOXIN ILLNESS
Alternative Medicine|March/April 2020
UNDERSTANDING AND OVERCOMING THE EFFECTS OF MOLD TOXICITY AND BIOTOXIN ILLNESS
Did you know that it only takes 24 hours for harmful molds to develop in a moisture-impaired environment? According to a study by the Federal Facilities Council, 43 percent of the buildings tested showed signs of water damage. That means in a single day, your home could potentially endanger you with the risk of mold toxicity and biotoxin illness.
DR. CANDICE HALL, DC

Exposure to indoor mold can cause an individual to experience respiratory distress, such as coughing and wheezing. However, further research links mold illness and biotoxin illness to psychiatric symptoms (including depression and anxiety) and cognitive symptoms (including brain fog and memory loss). Some patients are misdiagnosed with a purely psychiatric or cognitive condition. As a result, they are prescribed medications that are not appropriate because biotoxin illness was not identified as the root cause of their symptoms.

But as with most illnesses, biotoxin illness doesn’t need to take over your life. Understanding what causes mold toxicity, learning to identify the symptoms, and seeking qualified treatment can help you conquer the debilitating effects of mold toxicity.

Understand the Cause of Mold Toxicity

Mold toxicity occurs when someone comes into contact with one of many “biotoxins.” These biotoxins are poisonous substances produced by living organisms, with some of the most prevalent being toxic mold spores.

Since mold spores need moist environments to thrive, homes with a moisture problem are prime targets. Often due to small leaks, improper ventilation, or defective plumbing, water damage can occur with little awareness on the part of the occupants. An excess of moisture can result in dangerous fungi, bacteria actinomycetes, mycobacteria, mold spores, and endotoxins.

Environmental tests are available to measure the presence and levels of mold and mycotoxins in your home. Tests such as the ERMI and the HERTSME can provide information on the location and levels of mycotoxins.

articleRead

You can read up to 3 premium stories before you subscribe to Magzter GOLD

Log in, if you are already a subscriber

GoldLogo

Get unlimited access to thousands of curated premium stories, newspapers and 5,000+ magazines

READ THE ENTIRE ISSUE

March/April 2020