Motown India|June 2019
Maruti Suzuki India Limited (MSIL, formerly Maruti Udyog Limited) is a subsidiary of Suzuki Motor Corporation of Japan.
It is the leading manufacturer of passenger vehicles in India and makes more than 1.5 million cars a year with over 150 variants. It has a team of over 15000 people, spread over 1422 cities and towns all over India. In the past 10 years, while Suzuki Motor Corporation saw its total volumes increase from 2.62 million to 3.43 million.
BUSINESS REQUIREMENT: -
Being one of the leading car makers in the country, Maruti over the years has grown into a huge workforce along with an ever-expanding dealer network spread across the country.
- With a rapid expansion in the Indian car market, maintaining the leadership position required the company to invest in training this huge workforce and the dealer network.
- Maruti was also looking at possible ways to help and spread a positive impact on the surrounding communities.
- The diversity of trades and the ever-growing car variants that MSIL introduced year after year (over 150 variants at last count) compounded the need for training.
- With strong business growth, Maruti needed to have skilled manpower in all aspects of Maruti’s growing business. Following the innovative approach, Maruti was looking to invest in technology-based solution which is stable, proven, and scalable.
THE CHALLENGE: -
The continuous influx of recruits and constant transfers within the organisation presented a bigger challenge.
- In addition to the employees, the dealers of MSIL also needed to be trained from time to time to be able to sell their products better.
- Not all employees, trainers, and partners could travel to the metro cities to attend frequent training programs.
- The model needed to be sustainable to stand the test of time and growing business requirements.
SOLUTIONS OFFERED: -
To meet this challenge and to develop a new learning culture in the organization, the company started the initiative of creating a digital training academy for its employees and partners – the Maruti Suzuki Training Academy (MSTA) powered by Hughes Enterprise connectivity solutions.
You can read up to 3 premium stories before you subscribe to Magzter GOLD
Log in, if you are already a subscriber
Get unlimited access to thousands of curated premium stories and 5,000+ magazines
READ THE ENTIRE ISSUE