يحاول ذهب - حر
Accusations of 'secrecy' made over train failures
August 02, 2025
|The Journal
TYNE and Wear Metro bosses need to be “much more open” about problems frustrating passengers, campaigners have warned.
Metro users have been forced to endure disruption for much of this week, with operator Nexus issuing repeated warnings that “fleet availability” was causing gaps in its timetable.
That came on top of overhead wire problems that caused an overnight suspension between the Airport and Kingston Park on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Nexus and North East mayor Kim McGuinness have now been accused of a lack of transparency about the condition of both the outdated Metro trains being phased out of service and the new fleet of Swiss-built carriages replacing them.
The Journal asked Nexus on Wednesday how many trains it had available to use. The publicly-owned organisation responded yesterday, by which time it had enough trains back in service to run a full timetable, and declined to confirm how many units had been out of action earlier in the week.
It said the shortage of available trains was as a result of them suffering more faults than usual, adding that there had been “no pattern” to the issues and that Stadler “have been, and are, working through them”.
The Swiss manufacturer is responsible for the maintenance of Metro trains, as well as building the new fleet.
There were 28 Metro trains available to use as of Friday morning, 19 from the old fleet and nine new models, which is the minimum number required to run a full timetable.
Kevin Dickinson, of the Sort Out the Metro group, criticised the “very vague announcements” and “secrecy” by Nexus which he said was resulting in a “lack of trust” among passengers.
He added: “Concern is rising amongst passengers that there may be underlying issues we are not being told about.
هذه القصة من طبعة August 02, 2025 من The Journal.
اشترك في Magzter GOLD للوصول إلى آلاف القصص المتميزة المنسقة، وأكثر من 9000 مجلة وصحيفة.
هل أنت مشترك بالفعل؟ تسجيل الدخول
المزيد من القصص من The Journal
The Journal
Mcllroy set for early look at Augusta
MASTERS champion Rory Mcliroy is heading back to Augusta next week but will first look to continue to “shake off the rust\" at The Genesis Invitational.
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Journal
Howe has choice to make for next leg
SECOND STRING, OR TAKE NO PRISONERS?
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Journal
Proposal for children's home on empty plot
AN application has been lodged to convert a vacant plot in Winlaton into a children’s home.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Journal
I am not a big horror fan at all but I was really knocked out by this movie
Liam Neeson chats to LYNN RUSK about his new action-horror comedy, Cold Storage
4 mins
February 20, 2026
The Journal
A sprinkle of glory with award for gritter driver
FOR True Grit see John Wayne and Jeff Bridges who starred in the classic Western film of the same name.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Journal
Mystery illness left man with legs that 'felt like wood'
ANorth East paralegal in his 20s has spoken of his horror as strange symptoms left him “completely immobile” over just a few weeks in February 2024.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Journal
University agrees deal to move into last Spark spots
A PRIME Newcastle office will be at full occupancy this year after a private university struck a deal to take over all of its remaining space.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Journal
Octopus to swerve new private stock exchange
OCTOPUS
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Journal
Gordon left bemused by transfer talk
ANTHONY Gordon has slammed talk that he will leave Newcastle United after renewed talk of a summer move away from St James' Park.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Journal
Software firm turnover increases to £41.7m
TYNESIDE software firm Technology Services Group has seen revenues top £41m in a year of acquisitions following a successful management buyout.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
