يحاول ذهب - حر
MP urged to use 'Eavis family links' to have band axed from festival bill
May 08, 2025
|Central Somerset Gazette
RAP group Kneecap should not be allowed to perform at Glastonbury although the final decision is for the festival organisers, according to a Cabinet minister.
-
Wells and Mendip Conservatives have written to Wells and Mendip Hills MP Tessa Munt to 'use her links with the Eavis family' over the group's appearance at the festival.
Addressing Ms Munt, the letter says: “As you are no doubt aware, footage has emerged of the band ‘Kneecap’ shouting ‘The only good Tory is a dead Tory. Kill your local MP’ The band has been rightly condemned by, amongst others, the Prime Minister, the Leader of the Opposition, and the families of Jo Cox and David Amess. So far, you have failed to make any comment.
“Kneecap are scheduled to perform at the Glastonbury Festival on Saturday 28 June. I am writing to implore you to end your silence and publicly use your influence as MP for Pilton and your links with the Eavis family to join with those calling for the Festival to act responsibly and reconsider its decision to host performers who, at a time when political and social tensions are already high, have publicly incited violence against our democratically elected representatives.”
Liberal Democrat Ms Munt has been contacted for comment.
Commons Leader Lucy Powell said she believed “no-one in this House” would want to see the group at the festival, adding: “We'll all continue to say so loud and clear.”
هذه القصة من طبعة May 08, 2025 من Central Somerset Gazette.
اشترك في Magzter GOLD للوصول إلى آلاف القصص المتميزة المنسقة، وأكثر من 9000 مجلة وصحيفة.
هل أنت مشترك بالفعل؟ تسجيل الدخول
المزيد من القصص من Central Somerset Gazette
Central Somerset Gazette
Housing development's residents complain they've been 'left behind'
RESIDENTS at a local housing development have been struggling to feel heard after enduring what they say have been years of issues.
2 mins
November 27, 2025
Central Somerset Gazette
Council working to recover Red Brick funds
SOMERSET Council will try to “recover” public money associated with a troubled regeneration project after the company delivering the changes went into liquidation.
2 mins
November 27, 2025
Central Somerset Gazette
Couple re-open village's post office at new site
SARAH Dyke MP for Glastonbury and Somerton, “cut the ribbon” to mark the official opening of Baltons-borough Post Office at its new location last Thursday.
1 mins
November 27, 2025
Central Somerset Gazette
Stolen sign ‘too damaged’ to be restored to roadside
THE town of Glastonbury is so well known you would think visitors would need no introduction.
1 min
November 20, 2025
Central Somerset Gazette
Students pay respects to county's fallen
Pupils at a Street secondary school paused to honour local servicemen and women last week as part of a poignant Remembrance event highlighting the county's historic role in global conflicts.
1 min
November 20, 2025
Central Somerset Gazette
MP congratulates 'inspiring' group on King's Award
TESSA Munt, MP for Wells and Mendip Hills, has congratulated Green Wedmore after they received The King’s Award for Voluntary Service for 2025.
1 min
November 20, 2025
Central Somerset Gazette
Young boxer’s death in ditch ‘misadventure’
THE family of a young boxer distraught after his body was found in a water-filled ditch have received answers after an inquest into his death.
2 mins
November 20, 2025
Central Somerset Gazette
MP launches petition to highlight local dentist crisis
SARAH Dyke, MP for Glastonbury and Somerton, has launched a petition for residents to demand urgent government action as the crisis over the total lack of NHS dentistry provision in Somerset's “dental desert” deepens.
1 mins
November 20, 2025
Central Somerset Gazette
Wildlife Trust calls on researchers
SOMERSET Wildlife Trust is excited to launch the Somerset Wildlife Trust Research Prospectus, a new initiative highlighting priority areas of research where collaboration can lead to tangible impact for nature.
1 min
November 20, 2025
Central Somerset Gazette
Car park homes refused in face of fierce opposition
SOMERSET Council has narrowly refused plans to built “completely inappropriate” homes on a car park in Glastonbury.
3 mins
November 13, 2025
Listen
Translate
Change font size

