Denemek ALTIN - Özgür
All Eyes on Battle to Rule Table Tennis
The Straits Times
|May 27, 2025
Qatari's bid to be president of the sport's international federation draws scrutiny
DOHA - In a near-empty venue in a near-empty patch of desert on the outskirts of Doha, Qatar's capital, table tennis stars unfurled deadly slices and killer smashes last week as they vied to be crowned world champion.
Behind the scenes, another battle was playing out with just as much ferocity, as a wealthy Qatari businessman sought the presidency of the governing body of international table tennis, the latest example of Persian Gulf interests trying to extend their influence over global sports.
For many people, table tennis may evoke images of college dorms or suburban basements, but it is one of the world's most popular sports and a growing commercial force, particularly in East Asia.
Interviews with dozens of the sport's current and former officials and players have cast light on the rising power of Gulf nations such as Qatar and raised concerns about a history of bribery and lavish spending by Qatari officials — in table tennis and in other sports.
On May 19, a Swiss whistle-blower who has tangled with Khalil Al-Mohannadi, a Qatari businessman who hopes to be elected president of the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) this week, was detained at the sport's world championships in Doha.
The whistle-blower, Georg Silberschmidt, a former official with Swiss Table Tennis, was surrounded by more than 20 security personnel and taken into custody after passing out flyers for a new players' union meant to promote athletes' rights.
Bu hikaye The Straits Times dergisinin May 27, 2025 baskısından alınmıştır.
Binlerce özenle seçilmiş premium hikayeye ve 9.000'den fazla dergi ve gazeteye erişmek için Magzter GOLD'a abone olun.
Zaten abone misiniz? Oturum aç
The Straits Times'den DAHA FAZLA HİKAYE
The Straits Times
CAULFIELD'S DIAMOND COULD BE ETERNAL WARRIOR'S BEST FRIEND
Colt with solid Victorian classic ties bids to keep it in the family
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
OpenAI set to raise $127b in first phase of new funding round
SAN FRANCISCO - OpenAI is close to finalising the first phase of a new funding round that is likely to bring in more than US$100 billion (S$126.8 billion), according to people familiar with the matter.
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
No verified info on S'poreans fighting for IDF: MHA
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said it is aware of a foreign news report stating that two Singaporeans were among those who fought for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) during the conflict in Gaza.
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
German Chancellor joins calls for social media limits for children
Chancellor Friedrich Merz backed growing calls in Germany for controls on access to social media platforms by children.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
Ipoh flood victims suffer huge losses, face a grim fasting month
Flood-hit families in Malaysia are struggling to prepare for the fasting month.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
China’s economic policies causing waste at home, damage abroad: IMF
It urges country to shift to a growth model driven by domestic consumer spending
3 mins
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
PM Wong visiting Malaysia on Feb 20
Prime Minister Lawrence Wong will visit Malaysia on Feb 20 at the invitation of his Malaysian counterpart Anwar Ibrahim.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
Singapore shares rise after tech rebound on Wall Street
Local stocks finished stronger on Feb 19, tracking regional gains and following a strong rebound in technology shares on Wall Street.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
Incredible demand for special World Cup: Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be \"sold out\", FIFA president Gianni Infantino said on Feb 18, even though tickets are still available ahead of the tournament's June 11 kickoff.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Straits Times
Italy against Russian, Belarusian flags at Paralympics
Olympic hosts Italy on Feb 19 called for a reversal of the decision to let 10 Russian and Belarusian athletes compete with national flags and anthems at the Paralympic Winter Games in March.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
