Denemek ALTIN - Özgür

NEDA defends rice tariff cut

The Philippine Star

|

June 11, 2024

The National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) yesterday defended the recent government move to cut the tariff on imported rice, which has been opposed by farmers' groups, saying this is necessary to dampen the impact of rising world market prices of the grain on domestic prices.

- LOUELLA DESIDERIO

NEDA Secretary Arsenio Balisacan told reporters the lowering of the tariff on both in- and out-quota imported rice to 15 percent from 35 percent, approved by the NEDA Board last week, is intended to temper price increases of the staple as world market prices of rice, which have been rising since July last year, continue to go up.

He said the rising world market prices are also being reflected in the local markets and tariffs imposed on rice imports have an effect of increasing the price further.

The Philippine Star'den DAHA FAZLA HİKAYE

The Philippine Star

Risa: United opposition bets named by year-end

The “united opposition” will announce by year-end the common candidates they will field in the 2028 general elections after Vice President Sara Duterte declared her bid for the presidency.

time to read

2 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

Ceccarelli vows to get better

BORMIO, Italy - Francis Ceccarelli, the 22-year-old Fil-Italian skier in the 25th Winter Olympics, may be down-but certainly not out.

time to read

1 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

VP Sara: I'm running for president in 2028

Fourth impeach case filed vs VP

time to read

4 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

Why pursuing SMPC's coal contract makes sense for big conglomerates

As the government gears up to auction Semirara Mining and Power Corp.

time to read

2 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

BBM on VP's bid: Good luck

Palace: Apologize for EJKs, DepEd issues

time to read

2 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

DA orders probe into farm input anomalies

The Department of Agriculture (DA) has ordered an investigation into the procurement and distribution of farm inputs and machinery after farmers exposed alleged multibillion-peso irregularities.

time to read

1 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

'Phl will accept only UNCLOS-based COC'

Only a Code of Conduct (COC) in the South China Sea anchored on the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) will be acceptable to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), the Philippines' top diplomat said.

time to read

2 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

Landbank raises P50 B from ASENSO bond sale

State-run Land Bank of the Philippines has raised P50 billion from its Agriculture, Sustainability, Environment and Socioeconomic Development (ASENSO) bonds, following strong demand that prompted an early close of the offer.

time to read

1 min

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

Fallible

This story hovered under the radar.

time to read

3 mins

February 19, 2026

The Philippine Star

Rody wants to waive right to attend ICC hearing

Saying he does not recognize the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court, former president Rodrigo Duterte has requested the waiver of his right to attend the upcoming ICC confirmation of charges hearings next week.

time to read

2 mins

February 19, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size