Denemek ALTIN - Özgür

Global ambition

The Philippine Star

|

October 04, 2024

Critics may dismiss as a political circus the ongoing investigations at the Senate and the House of Representatives.

- ANA MARIE PAMINTUAN

Global ambition

Others, however, see the probes as a unique chance to unearth the elusive truth and pursue justice in the mass executions carried out in the name of law enforcement when Rodrigo Duterte was in power.

Surely even the international community is taking notice. And the efforts to dig up the truth are reflecting positively on President Marcos.

The United Nations in the Philippines, for one, while seeing problems in the overall human rights situation that have persisted beyond Duterte, has noted improvements in illegal drug control under BBM.

UN Resident Coordinator Gustavo Gonzalez told a small media gathering last Tuesday that UN-Philippines is working closely with the government on two "important topics." One is continuing UN support for the peace process in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, particularly on decommissioning.

The Number One topic is the implementation of UN Human Rights Council Resolution 45/33, including technical cooperation and capacity-building for promoting and protecting human rights in the Philippines.

In July 2021, the Philippine government signed a joint program with the UN for reforms in six key areas: investigative and accountability measures; data gathering on alleged police violations; the establishment of a national mechanism for reporting and follow-up; engagement with civil society and the Commission on Human Rights; counterterrorism legislation and rights-based approaches to drug control.

This was during the Duterte administration.

The Philippine Star'den DAHA FAZLA HİKAYE

The Philippine Star

GoTyme Bank tops Visa debit market in Phl

GoTyme Bank has emerged as the most used Visa debit card issuer in the Philippines, highlighting rapid growth in digital payments adoption as the lender continued to expand its customer base and transaction volumes in 2025.

time to read

1 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

Toyota Gazoo Racing sweeps Monte Carlo podium in the 2026 WRC

Follows up with 1-2-3-4 finish in WRC Round 2 in Sweden

time to read

1 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

The first time my brothers & I travelled abroad together

For my four brothers and me, our recent trip to Taiwan was like a trip around the world.

time to read

5 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

Megaworld investing P10 B for new malls

Property giant Megaworld Corp. is investing around P10 billion to scale up its retail portfolio, with new malls to be developed in Pampanga, Bulacan, Cavite and Bacolod.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

CBCP: Limit political dynasties to 2 relatives

Only two family members should be allowed to hold elective positions, according to a joint statement by church-based groups yesterday.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

2 Manila cops sacked for blocking motorists

Two members of the Manila Police District (MPD) have been relieved from their posts after a viral video showed them in a patrol car blocking motorists at a traffic light along Taft Avenue.

time to read

1 min

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

High gold prices lift OceanaGold earnings

Australian-Canadian miner OceanaGold Philippines Inc. (OGPI) struck strong results last year, with earnings more than doubled amid soaring gold prices.

time to read

1 min

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

US lingerie CEO says he was 'conned' by Epstein

Retail tycoon Les Wexner told US lawmakers on Wednesday he was \"conned\" by Jeffrey Epstein and denied any knowledge of his crimes, as Democrats pressed him over his decades-long relationship with the notorious sex offender.

time to read

1 min

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

Jonvic: We will find Atong Ang

Fugitive gambling tycoon Atong

time to read

1 min

February 20, 2026

The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

Palace: Rody’s ICC turnover lawful

The Philippine government's decision to turn over former president Rodrigo Duterte to the International Criminal Court (ICC) was lawful, Malacañang maintained yesterday, after the erstwhile chief executive claimed he was sent to The Hague “in flagrant contravention” of the Constitution and national sovereignty.

time to read

2 mins

February 20, 2026

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size