Poging GOUD - Vrij
House starts plenary debates on rice tariff amendment
The Philippine Star
|May 13, 2024
The House of Representatives will start plenary deliberations today on the committeeapproved measure amending certain provisions of the Rice Tariffication Law (RTL) for purposes of bringing down the price of rice in the retail market.
In a statement, Speaker Martin Romualdez gave assurances that the legislative chamber would double the effort to hasten the plenary debates and secure the bill’s approval on second reading by Wednesday.
President Marcos promised to certify the bill as urgent, which he may do so anytime this week.
“We recognize the urgency of addressing the challenges faced by consumers due to high rice prices. Through these plenary debates, we are taking decisive action to bring about meaningful change and ease the financial strain on Filipino households,” Romualdez said.
Plenary debates will commence once the RTL amendment bill is sponsored by the House committee on agriculture and food, chaired by Quezon first district Rep. Mark Enverga, whose panel approved last week the substitute measure for House Bills 212, 405, 1562, 9030 and 9547.
The substitute bill aims to bolster the competitiveness and resilience of the rice industry while ensuring affordable access to the essential staple for all Filipinos. The approval came a day after Marcos expressed his intention to certify the bill amending RTL as urgent.
Dit verhaal komt uit de May 13, 2024-editie van The Philippine Star.
Abonneer u op Magzter GOLD voor toegang tot duizenden zorgvuldig samengestelde premiumverhalen en meer dan 9000 tijdschriften en kranten.
Bent u al abonnee? Aanmelden
MEER VERHALEN VAN The Philippine Star
The Philippine Star
Message from Alex
Tennis sensation Alex Eala sent a video message expressing her prautude for being named Co-Athlete of the Year during the San iguel Corp.
1 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
Roque: No Interpol red notice against me
Former presidential spokesman Harry Roque is confident that the Philippine government’s request for an Interpol red notice alert against him will not materialize.
1 min
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
Kidnapped businessman rescued; 3 suspects held
A businessman from Mandaluyong who was allegedly kidnapped and held for a P50-million ransom was rescued in Quezon City, the police Anti-Kidnapping Group reported yesterday.
1 min
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
JDV laid to rest at Libingan
The country bade farewell yesterday to former speaker of the House of Representatives Jose de Venecia Jr. at the Libingan ng mga Bayani in Taguig.
1 min
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
'Oil price hikes open door for jeepney fare review'
Recent oil price hikes have \"opened the door\" for discussions on the petition for another jeepney fare hike, the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) said yesterday.
1 min
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
Business leaders urged: Help solve classroom shortage
Warning that delays in infrastructure and limited digital access continue to constrain learning opportunities for millions of Filipino students, Education Secretary Sonny Angara yesterday called on business leaders to take a central role in addressing the country’s 165,000-classroom shortage and modernizing public schools.
1 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
Maya scaling up operations ahead of potential IPO foray
Digital financial services platform Maya remains focused on expanding its ecosystem, declining to confirm reports that it is considering an initial public offering (IPO) in the United States.
1 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
Suspect in 'chop-chop' case arrested in Pasay
One of the suspects in the murder of a man whose dismembered body was stuffed in a blue drum in Binondo, Manila was arrested yesterday.
1 min
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
CHIBOG CHOW FESTIVAL CELEBRATES FILIPINO-CHINESE HERITAGE
Celebrate a full day of culture, entertainment, and discovery at the “Chibog Chow Festival: A Grand Philippines-China Food and Cultural Celebration,” with free admission on Feb. 21-22 at Robinsons Place Manila.
1 mins
February 19, 2026
The Philippine Star
Cone focused on who's available
Gilas head coach Tim Cone said yesterday he’s avoiding distractions and his only focus is to get the available players ready for the second FIBA World Cup Asia qualifying window against New Zealand on Feb. 26 and Australia on March 1, both at the MOA Arena.
1 mins
February 19, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
