Poging GOUD - Vrij
Distressed
The Philippine Star
|March 15, 2025
FIRST PERSON
There was distress in the Chinoy community even before that 14-year-old boy was kidnapped and mutilated.
Rumors circulated that a known Filipino-Chinese businessman was kidnapped and forced to pay ransom. This stoked fears the bad old days had returned—those days when members of the community became targets of organized crimes.
An epidemic of kidnappings happened during those years. The crime wave was suspected to have been perpetrated by criminal syndicates with links to the law enforcement agencies. A massive cleanup of the police was required to stop this wave of kidnappings.
Somehow the crime wave directed primarily at the Filipino-Chinese community subsided. Members of the Chinoy community felt safer.
These days, however, there seems to be a resurgence. As in the previous crime waves, this one is suspected to involve dirty law enforcers. A new element is the apparent involvement of ethnic Chinese criminals displaced by the closure of POGO operations.
The POGOs were unfortunate for us. They brought over a lot of unsavory characters from China. Those unsavory characters contribute to the caricature some have about Chinese residents here.
The POGO phenomenon fostered a sharp increase in anti-Chinese sentiment among ordinary Filipinos. A recent survey conducted by OCTA Research showed that nine of 10 Filipinos do not trust China. The sentiment inevitably spills over to attitudes toward Chinoys.
There is yet no indication that things have deteriorated into communal tensions. But it could go that way to everyone's peril.
Dit verhaal komt uit de March 15, 2025-editie van The Philippine Star.
Abonneer u op Magzter GOLD voor toegang tot duizenden zorgvuldig samengestelde premiumverhalen en meer dan 9000 tijdschriften en kranten.
Bent u al abonnee? Aanmelden
MEER VERHALEN VAN The Philippine Star
The Philippine Star
GoTyme Bank tops Visa debit market in Phl
GoTyme Bank has emerged as the most used Visa debit card issuer in the Philippines, highlighting rapid growth in digital payments adoption as the lender continued to expand its customer base and transaction volumes in 2025.
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Toyota Gazoo Racing sweeps Monte Carlo podium in the 2026 WRC
Follows up with 1-2-3-4 finish in WRC Round 2 in Sweden
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
The first time my brothers & I travelled abroad together
For my four brothers and me, our recent trip to Taiwan was like a trip around the world.
5 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Megaworld investing P10 B for new malls
Property giant Megaworld Corp. is investing around P10 billion to scale up its retail portfolio, with new malls to be developed in Pampanga, Bulacan, Cavite and Bacolod.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
CBCP: Limit political dynasties to 2 relatives
Only two family members should be allowed to hold elective positions, according to a joint statement by church-based groups yesterday.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
2 Manila cops sacked for blocking motorists
Two members of the Manila Police District (MPD) have been relieved from their posts after a viral video showed them in a patrol car blocking motorists at a traffic light along Taft Avenue.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
High gold prices lift OceanaGold earnings
Australian-Canadian miner OceanaGold Philippines Inc. (OGPI) struck strong results last year, with earnings more than doubled amid soaring gold prices.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
US lingerie CEO says he was 'conned' by Epstein
Retail tycoon Les Wexner told US lawmakers on Wednesday he was \"conned\" by Jeffrey Epstein and denied any knowledge of his crimes, as Democrats pressed him over his decades-long relationship with the notorious sex offender.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Jonvic: We will find Atong Ang
Fugitive gambling tycoon Atong
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Palace: Rody’s ICC turnover lawful
The Philippine government's decision to turn over former president Rodrigo Duterte to the International Criminal Court (ICC) was lawful, Malacañang maintained yesterday, after the erstwhile chief executive claimed he was sent to The Hague “in flagrant contravention” of the Constitution and national sovereignty.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
