Ga onbeperkt met Magzter GOLD

Ga onbeperkt met Magzter GOLD

Krijg onbeperkte toegang tot meer dan 9000 tijdschriften, kranten en Premium-verhalen voor slechts

$149.99
 
$74.99/Jaar

Poging GOUD - Vrij

BI Still Clueless on Alice Guo Escape Details

The Philippine Star

|

March 05, 2025

Almost seven months after dismissed Bamban mayor and suspected Chinese spy Alice Guo escaped to Indonesia, immigration officials are still clueless about how she left the Philippines to evade an arrest order of the Senate.

- CECILLE SUERTE FELIPE

BI Still Clueless on Alice Guo Escape Details

At yesterday's Senate hearing, Sen. Risa Hontiveros expressed frustration with the Bureau of Immigration (BI)'s dismal performance in figuring out the details of Guo's escape in August last year.

“We are inutile as a country. It’s been four months and we still don’t know how fugitives got past our borders undetected,” Hontiveros lamented.

BI Intelligence Division chief Fortunato Manahan Jr. agreed with the senator.

Ports or sub-ports used by Guo and her siblings to escape also remain unknown, Manahan said.

“How did they manage to escape? Or was there a government official who helped them? Which port or coast of our archipelago did they flee from?” Hontiveros asked.

Counterparts of the BI across Asia have not replied to inquiries about the Guo siblings’ escape, Manahan said.

“We will check with the office of the commissioner if any reports have been submitted from November to this year,” he said.

No BI personnel helped Guo escape, Immigration Commissioner Joel Anthony Viado said.

MEER VERHALEN VAN The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

HOW STAR-STUDDED PHL CROWD MADE BLACKPINK RETURN FEEL 'SPECIAL'

WHENEVER BLACKPINK IS IN YOUR AREA, you can't help but be in awe of their heart-stopping show and jaw-dropping performances, just as what BLINKs witnessed during the Philippine leg of BLACKPINK's \"Deadline\" world tour, held last weekend at the Philippine Arena in Bulacan.

time to read

3 mins

November 29, 2025

The Philippine Star

Calls to withdraw support could lead to arrest – Gibo

Ahead of the Trillion Peso March tomorrow, Defense Secretary Gilbert Teodoro Jr. warned that individuals calling for a “withdrawal of support” from the government could be arrested and charged.

time to read

3 mins

November 29, 2025

The Philippine Star

The Philippine Star

ICC rejects Rody’s interim release plea

Duterte family accepts ruling with ‘peaceful hearts’

time to read

4 mins

November 29, 2025

The Philippine Star

'Stock market poised for recovery in 2026'

J.P. Morgan keeps overweight call on Phl

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

The Philippine Star

'Stranger Things': The global phenomenon becomes a generation's core memory

A free space that was shaped from the ground up to become themed immersion zones, world-class performers, exclusive merchandise areas and access to the once-in-a-lifetime meet-and-greet with childhood heroes were all happening in one place.

time to read

4 mins

November 29, 2025

The Philippine Star

Group alarmed over rise in colorectal cancer cases

The Philippine Cancer Society (PCS) has expressed alarm over the sudden rise in cases of colorectal cancer recorded in the country.

time to read

1 min

November 29, 2025

The Philippine Star

P3 per liter diesel rollback seen next week

December is poised to open with a sharp drop in diesel and kerosene prices, as markets react to renewed Ukraine-Russia ceasefire hopes.

time to read

1 min

November 29, 2025

The Philippine Star

Trade gap hits lowest level in 5 months

The Philippines' trade deficit in October narrowed to its lowest level in five months as exports posted double-digit growth, while imports declined, according to the Philippine Statistics Authority.

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

The Philippine Star

New Angat water tunnel to provide reliable supply to more families

Residents of Metro Manila and nearby areas will now have reliable water supply, according to President Marcos, who led the inauguration of the Angat Water Transmission Improvement Project's Tunnel Five yesterday.

time to read

1 min

November 29, 2025

The Philippine Star

Ex-DPWH exec Alcantara surrenders P110 M to DOJ

The government has secured the first restitution of public funds from the flood control scam, as dismissed Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Bulacan 1st District Engineering Office (DEO) engineer Henry Alcantara yesterday turned over a total of P110 million in cash he admitted to have illegally amassed from flood control projects.

time to read

3 mins

November 29, 2025

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size