Poging GOUD - Vrij
A Christmas of assassins
The Philippine Star
|December 03, 2024
VIRTUAL REALITY
Christmas is supposed to be a time to celebrate the birth of a famous person, the Savior no less, and not a season to kill.
After all, the merriest season of the year is Christmas.
The Philippines celebrates the world's longest Christmas season, from Dec. 16, start of the nine-day Simbang Gabi, til Three Kings Day of the new year.
The malls start Christmas with the 'ber months, October to December, a full quarter, and extend the celebration till the Chinese New Year, Jan. 25, 2025 - four months of holiday mood.
Only in the Philippines can, during the happiest of seasons, the second highest official of the land, Sara Zimmerman Duterte, rant on national TV to disclose she has contracted an assassin to kill President Ferdinand Romualdez Marcos Jr., First Lady Louise Araneta Marcos and House Speaker Martin Gomez Romualdez.
It's sounds like a macabre rare Christmas offer - pay once, kill three.
Apparently, there are takers.
The contract is no joke, Sara declared.
And so assassins are on the loose.
"It's an active threat," said Malacañang.
Only in the Philippines can a former president, Rodrigo Roa Duterte, 80, on national TV, repeatedly urge the Armed Forces of the Philippines to stage a coup on the ground that the President is high on drugs, habitually.
So far, none inside the 250,000-strong AFP and the 125,000-man Philippine National Police has taken up the offer.
Should Digong offer a bounty? Or the men in uniform think he was - joking? drunk? high on drugs? sleep-deprived? All of the above?
"It's a selfish offer," harrumphed the presidential palace.
Dit verhaal komt uit de December 03, 2024-editie van The Philippine Star.
Abonneer u op Magzter GOLD voor toegang tot duizenden zorgvuldig samengestelde premiumverhalen en meer dan 9000 tijdschriften en kranten.
Bent u al abonnee? Aanmelden
MEER VERHALEN VAN The Philippine Star
The Philippine Star
GoTyme Bank tops Visa debit market in Phl
GoTyme Bank has emerged as the most used Visa debit card issuer in the Philippines, highlighting rapid growth in digital payments adoption as the lender continued to expand its customer base and transaction volumes in 2025.
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Toyota Gazoo Racing sweeps Monte Carlo podium in the 2026 WRC
Follows up with 1-2-3-4 finish in WRC Round 2 in Sweden
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
The first time my brothers & I travelled abroad together
For my four brothers and me, our recent trip to Taiwan was like a trip around the world.
5 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Megaworld investing P10 B for new malls
Property giant Megaworld Corp. is investing around P10 billion to scale up its retail portfolio, with new malls to be developed in Pampanga, Bulacan, Cavite and Bacolod.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
CBCP: Limit political dynasties to 2 relatives
Only two family members should be allowed to hold elective positions, according to a joint statement by church-based groups yesterday.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
2 Manila cops sacked for blocking motorists
Two members of the Manila Police District (MPD) have been relieved from their posts after a viral video showed them in a patrol car blocking motorists at a traffic light along Taft Avenue.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
High gold prices lift OceanaGold earnings
Australian-Canadian miner OceanaGold Philippines Inc. (OGPI) struck strong results last year, with earnings more than doubled amid soaring gold prices.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
US lingerie CEO says he was 'conned' by Epstein
Retail tycoon Les Wexner told US lawmakers on Wednesday he was \"conned\" by Jeffrey Epstein and denied any knowledge of his crimes, as Democrats pressed him over his decades-long relationship with the notorious sex offender.
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Jonvic: We will find Atong Ang
Fugitive gambling tycoon Atong
1 min
February 20, 2026
The Philippine Star
Palace: Rody’s ICC turnover lawful
The Philippine government's decision to turn over former president Rodrigo Duterte to the International Criminal Court (ICC) was lawful, Malacañang maintained yesterday, after the erstwhile chief executive claimed he was sent to The Hague “in flagrant contravention” of the Constitution and national sovereignty.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
