Ga onbeperkt met Magzter GOLD

Ga onbeperkt met Magzter GOLD

Krijg onbeperkte toegang tot meer dan 9000 tijdschriften, kranten en Premium-verhalen voor slechts

$149.99
 
$74.99/Jaar

Poging GOUD - Vrij

New number for Conway, but a clear desire for extra players

The Gazette

|

July 03, 2025

MOST Middlesbrough players are now back at Rockliffe preparing for the new season, with Rob Edwards taking his new squad onto the grass and getting the footballs out for the first time this summer on Monday.

- By CRAIG JOHNS

Having gone through the physical testing after returning at the end of last week, the new Boro head coach was able to get his newly-inherited players out on the pitches as his work to get Boro ready for the new season and the opening game against Swansea City stepped up.

Still absent are Hayden Hackney and Rav van den Berg, who both took part in this summer's U21s Euros and aren't expected back until later this month.

Skipper Jonny Howson’s future remains uncertain too, with his contract expiring at the end of last season and still no clarity on whether he will sign an extension or not.

As the club chronicled their first official day of pre-season through pictures and a video of the return to training, here are five things we spotted.

TOMMY CONWAY'S NEW NUMBER AND MESSAGE

TOMMY Conway was one of the players enjoying their first day back at the club. He was given a few extra days off after representing Scotland earlier in the summer. Sporting the new Boro training kit, it looked as though Conway will have a new squad number for the new season.

Having worn the number 22 in his debut season at the club, Conway's kit could be seen with the number 9 above the Castore logo.

He appeared to confirm the change as he posted a picture of himself in the kit of social media with the caption ‘Point to prove’.

Until squad numbers are officially confirmed, it’s worth avoiding getting ‘Conway 9’ printed on the back of your new Boro shirts, of course, but it would appear Conway has been given the honour.

The number nine shirt is sacred to any striker and was vacant this summer after Kelechi Iheanacho’s exit at the end of last season following his failed loan move. He'd taken the number off Emmanuel Latte Lath.

Boro plan to sign a striker this summer, but Edwards appears to have already put a great deal of early faith in the 22-year-old.

MEER VERHALEN VAN The Gazette

The Gazette

The Gazette

Strelec set to return but defenders still missing

MIDDLESBROUGH have been handed a fitness boost ahead of Derby County's visit today, with David Strelec expected to be back in the squad.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

Island in the limelight

IF YOU MISSED THE BOAT THIS SUMMER, NOW'S THE PERFECT TIME TO HEAD TO MENORCA, SAYS SAMANTHA WOSTEAR

time to read

3 mins

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

The Gazette

Max says Norris will feel pressure

FORMULA ONE Max Verstappen has told Lando Norris that if he was driving his McLaren the world championship would “easily” be over.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

Remote control

COERCIVE THEO MANIPULATES BATTERED TODD INTO ISOLATING HIMSELF IN THE FLAT... BUT IS THE GAME UP?

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

Victim says partner's brutal attacks felt like 'living in horror film'

A DRUNKEN Middlesbrough thug left his partner feeling like she was living in “a horror film” after subjecting her to a series of violent attacks.

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

Hellberg vows to give every player a chance to prove

KIM Hellberg says every Middlesbrough player will have a clean slate and an opportunity to impress him over the coming weeks, as he gets to know his squad.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

Ditching first day rights for workers 'not U-turn'

THE government's decision to abandon day-one workers’ rights against unfair dismissal is not a U-turn and does not break Labour's election manifesto, a senior Cabinet minister has insisted.

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

Merger of two GP practices is confirmed

HEALTH chiefs have approved a merger between two Teesside GP practices.

time to read

1 min

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

The Gazette

England are facing a pink-ball ‘lottery’

ENGLAND'S hopes of levelling the Ashes scoreline are at the mercy of a pink-ball “lottery”, according to Stuart Broad.

time to read

2 mins

November 29, 2025

The Gazette

Woman dies after being hit by lorry

POLICE ISSUE APPEAL TO ANY WITNESSES OF A66 INCIDENT

time to read

1 mins

November 29, 2025

Listen

Translate

Share

-
+

Change font size