Poging GOUD - Vrij
Dizon seeks cut in P268-B flood control budget for 2026
Manila Bulletin
|September 7, 2025
Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Vince Dizon on Friday, Sept. 5, called for a reduction in the P268-billion allocation for flood control projects under the agency’s proposed P880-billion budget for 2026.
Flood control projects account for 32 percent of the DPWH’s total proposed budget for next year.
He made the call during a briefing before the House Committee on Appropriations, saying the reduction aims to eliminate redundant spending while prioritizing high-risk areas without compromising the needs of flood control projects.
"We need to start correcting the proposed DPWH budget with the errors pointed out by members of Congress, projects that are either completed but still funded, and double counting with multiple allocations for the same project, while also preventing unnecessary new projects and ensuring previously implemented projects are properly repaired and cleaned up," Dizon said. "We have seen how previously implemented projects need to be fixed. Additional budget should not be allocated where it is not needed."
House appropriations panel chairperson and Nueva Ecija Rep. Mikaela Suansing said only flood control projects in areas identified as high-risk “red zones” under Project NOAH or the Nationwide Operational Assessment of Standards of the UP Resilience Institute should be funded.
"Red zones are areas posing a high risk of fatalities, either due to deep floodwaters or strong water flow," Suansing explained. She added that only projects based on feasibility studies and endorsed by the Regional Development Council should be included in next year's budget.
Funds needed for flood-prone areas
During the panel briefing, House Minority Leader 4Ps Party-list Rep.
Dit verhaal komt uit de September 7, 2025-editie van Manila Bulletin.
Abonneer u op Magzter GOLD voor toegang tot duizenden zorgvuldig samengestelde premiumverhalen en meer dan 9000 tijdschriften en kranten.
Bent u al abonnee? Aanmelden
MEER VERHALEN VAN Manila Bulletin
Manila Bulletin
Timberwolves escape Celtics
Anthony Edwards scored 39 points, including an unlikely 3-pointer that sealed the game, and the Minnesota Timberwolves held off the Boston Celtics 119-115 on Saturday, Nov. 29.
1 min
December 1, 2025
Manila Bulletin
QUBE Smart Lockers officially activated at San Lorenzo Place Mall, expanding Makati's smart city ecosystem
UBE Smart Technology Corp. marked a new milestone in its nationwide smart city initiative with the official activation of the QUBE Smart Locker at San Lorenzo Place Mall in Makati City on November 17, 2025. The launch represents QUBE's continued commitment to simplifying how Filipinos work, live, and play by integrating smart, secure, and user-centric technologies into everyday urban environments.
2 mins
December 1, 2025
Manila Bulletin
Marcos, VP urge Filipinos to protect dignity, fight for justice
Emphasizing Gat Andres Bonifacio's courage, nationalism, and unwavering fight against injustice, President Marcos urged the nation to draw inspiration from him in protecting their dignity and embracing their duties.
1 min
December 1, 2025
Manila Bulletin
SEC reforms boost biz setup despite dip in new firm count
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) reported 43,185 new corporate registrations as of the end of October, reflecting sustained entrepreneurial activity despite a slight dip from the previous year.
1 min
December 1, 2025
Manila Bulletin
LTFRB braces for more passengers in December
As more people start traveling to and from the provinces for the holidays, the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) ordered all its regional offices to start preparing and implementing all the contingency measures to ensure passenger comfort and safety.
1 min
December 1, 2025
Manila Bulletin
Zaldy Co tells PBBM: Escudero pushed for ₱150-B insertion in 2025 budget
Former Ako Bicol Party-list Rep. Zaldy Co - in a letter to President Marcos that he recently shared to his Facebook followers - claimed that then-Senate President Francis \"Chiz\" Escudero aggressively pushed for the Senate's P150-billion insertion in the proposed 2025 national budget.
1 mins
December 1, 2025
Manila Bulletin
8 Cebu City officials charged in P200-M malversation case
Eleven persons, eight of them officials of the Cebu City government, have been charged with non-bailable offense of malversation of public funds involving P200 million paid to a garbage collector in 2021.
1 mins
December 1, 2025
Manila Bulletin
Rhodessa M. Belen celebrates empowerment & leadership
Just days before gracefully passing on the illustrious title of Mrs. Asia Pacific Intercontinental 2024 Rhodessa Montano Belen found herself reflecting on a remarkable journey.
2 mins
December 1, 2025
Manila Bulletin
DOH plan to use solar energy in public hospitals hailed
Saying that government should lead the efforts in tapping renewable energy (RE), Abralone district Rep. JB Bernos has expressed his support for the Department of Health's (DOH) plan to use solar energy in public hospitals and other health facilities.
1 mins
December 1, 2025
Manila Bulletin
Over 1,000 poor families to receive houses, lots from gov't
More than 1,000 families in Iloilo, Laguna and Quezon province will be given the best Christmas gift this December from the national government.
1 min
December 1, 2025
Listen
Translate
Change font size

