Poging GOUD - Vrij
Court cracks down on GBV in wake of NMU tragedy
George Herald
|George Herald
Gender-based crimes, such as the murder of Nelson Mandela University (NMU) student Zimkhitha Ntshisela inside her George Campus residence on 6 May 2023, have been singled out for severe punishment.
During the judgment and sentencing of her killer, Luyanda Mahlanza, in the George Magistrate's Court last week, the presiding officer, whom the media is barred from naming, said the sentencing must deter other like-minded offenders and students at universities and educational institutions from resorting to violence when there is conflict between them and their partners.
"These gender-based crimes are highly prevalent now," the magistrate said. He added that femicide has also been highlighted in various reports, underlining concerns specifically around domestic violence and the killing of partners during incidents in which violence is used to resolve a dispute.
Mahlanza was found guilty of murder with criminal intent and sentenced to life behind bars. He was also declared unfit to own a firearm.
When did the stabbing stop?
Dit verhaal komt uit de George Herald-editie van George Herald.
Abonneer u op Magzter GOLD voor toegang tot duizenden zorgvuldig samengestelde premiumverhalen en meer dan 9000 tijdschriften en kranten.
Bent u al abonnee? Aanmelden
MEER VERHALEN VAN George Herald
George Herald
International teen pianist to play in George
The George Music Society invites all music lovers to its first concert for 2026.
1 min
George Herald
George Herald
High court rules against ANC with costs
The Western Cape High Court has ruled against the ANC in a case involving political campaign material, ordering the party to pay the George Municipality's legal costs.
1 mins
George Herald
George Herald
Glenwood House celebrates 20 years
This year, Glenwood House proudly celebrates 20 years of heart, heritage and excellence in education.
1 min
George Herald
George Herald
Low scores in SWD premier league
Die verdedigende kampioene, Union Stars I, het 'n nederlaag van 80 lopies gely in verlede naweek se SWD Premierliga-kompetisie teen hul Oudtshoorn-bure, die Harlequins Forces.
1 min
George Herald
George Herald
'No electricity increase without public input' - Mayor Johnson
No electricity tariff increases will be approved without a proper public participation process.
1 mins
George Herald
George Herald
Elderly man robbed at ATM
A 77-year-old man was robbed at an Absa ATM at the Heather Park Shopping Centre at about 18:00 on Tuesday 10 February.
1 min
George Herald
George Herald
Vermeende kabeldief loop sy rieme styf
Twee mans in 'n wit Opel-motor is op Woensdag 4 Februarie in Pacaltsdorp deur munisipale wetstoepassers voorgekeer en gesteelde koperkabels is na bewering in die motor gevind.
1 min
George Herald
George Herald
Michael Lindt op 'Die Groot Ontbyt'
Aanhangers van die plaaslike sanger, Michael Lindt, kan op Maandag 23 Februarie op Die Groot Ontbyt-televisieprogram op kykNET inskakel.
1 min
George Herald
George Herald
Garden Route Badgers women stumble again
It was another tough weekend for the Garden Route Badgers women's team after they suffered defeats in both the Hollywoodbets Pro50 and Pro20 matches against the DP World Lions at the Dobsonville Oval in Johannesburg.
1 min
George Herald
George Herald
Registrations now open for 2026 Nedbank Gravel Burn
Cycling enthusiasts may now register for the Nedbank Gravel Burn 2026, one of South Africa's most spectacular gravel riding adventures.
1 min
George Herald
Listen
Translate
Change font size
