Poging GOUD - Vrij
Land Bank declines to confirm R50m ransom claim as cyber investigation continues
Cape Times
|February 16, 2026
THE Land and Agricultural Development Bank of South Africa (Land Bank) has declined to confirm or deny reports that cybercriminals demanded a R50 million ransom following a cybersecurity breach last month, saying it will not comment on alleged ransom demands while investigations are ongoing.
This comes after the Land Bank reported a "temporary disruption affecting certain internal IT systems" that occured on 12 January, after which it took offline the affected systems as a precautionary measure to protect its operations and information.
However, a source close to the situation has claimed that the bank's IT systems were hacked and that the perpetrators allegedly demanded a R50m ransom. It remains unclear whether any ransom was paid.
In an emailed response to BR on Friday, the bank confirmed it experienced a cybersecurity incident caused by an unauthorised third party that deployed ransomware, which encrypted part of our server environment. However, it refused to engage on specific details relating to any possible ransom.
“As a matter of security and investigative protocol, the Bank does not comment on specific aspects of threat actor engagement, including any alleged ransom demands, while the forensic process is ongoing,” the bank said.
While questions remain about whether a ransom was demanded — and if so, how much — the bank has made clear that it will not discuss such matters publicly while investigations are ongoing.
“Our focus remains on system recovery, protecting stakeholders, and supporting law enforcement efforts,” it said.
Dit verhaal komt uit de February 16, 2026-editie van Cape Times.
Abonneer u op Magzter GOLD voor toegang tot duizenden zorgvuldig samengestelde premiumverhalen en meer dan 9000 tijdschriften en kranten.
Bent u al abonnee? Aanmelden
MEER VERHALEN VAN Cape Times
Cape Times
Trump must also face music for Epstein dealings
I SEE a French politician, Jack Lang, is the latest high profile figure to be forced out of office, after, amongst others, Prince Andrew and Lord Mandelson.
1 min
February 16, 2026
Cape Times
Land Bank declines to confirm R50m ransom claim as cyber investigation continues
THE Land and Agricultural Development Bank of South Africa (Land Bank) has declined to confirm or deny reports that cybercriminals demanded a R50 million ransom following a cybersecurity breach last month, saying it will not comment on alleged ransom demands while investigations are ongoing.
3 mins
February 16, 2026
Cape Times
HOW TO BREAK FREE FROM THE VICTIM MENTALITY AND FOSTER PERSONAL GROWTH
WE LIVE in a world where life's challenges often feel insurmountable, and many of us fall into a mindset that quietly erodes our well-being and a victim mentality.
3 mins
February 16, 2026
Cape Times
Cell C data traffic surges despite flat earnings in first listed period
CELL C Holdings posted marginally lower headline earnings in its first results of being listed on the JSE, at 20 584 cents per share for the six months to November 30, versus 20 652 cents a year before.
2 mins
February 16, 2026
Cape Times
CUBA CANCELS CIGAR FESTIVAL AMID ECONOMIC CRISIS
CUBA at the weekend announced the cancellation of its iconic cigar festival, amid a major energy crisis sparked by US pressure on the cash-strapped island.
1 min
February 16, 2026
Cape Times
Teen pregnancies, overpopulation call for hands-on approach
I READ last Monday’s leader on teenage pregnancies with interest as I have literally been writing about this for years and years.
2 mins
February 16, 2026
Cape Times
British American Tobacco’s strategy: Building a ‘smokeless world’ while cigarette sales fall
IT MAY SEEM counter-intuitive that JSE and London listed British American Tobacco (BAT), a manufacturer of cigarettes, has \"Building a Smokeless World\" as its strategy.
2 mins
February 16, 2026
Cape Times
E-hailing driver assaulted in Phoenix, KZN police investigate extortion case
IN ANOTHER incident that has sent shockwaves through the e-hailing community, a Bolt driver was allegedly assaulted by three individuals after dropping off a passenger outside the Phoenix Plaza in Durban on Saturday.
2 mins
February 16, 2026
Cape Times
Tongaat Hulett's provisional liquidation: A major blow to South Africa's sugar industry
INDUSTRY leaders and a sugar farmer say that the provisional liquidation of Tongaat Hulett is a major blow to the industry and have called for Tongaat to be saved.
3 mins
February 16, 2026
Cape Times
Landmark victory for mom in R23m lawsuit against government
THE mother of a child born with cerebral palsy due to the negligence of hospital staff, has won her longstanding legal battle for the Eastern Cape health department to pay her lump-sum damages, rather than to substitute some of the damages by providing future medical care.
2 mins
February 16, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
